• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too much squishy poo

grainy

Warren Scout
Should I stop feeding fresh veg or just reduce it? He has unlimited hay and a 1/2 bowl of green veg per day.

Today he had done lots of squishy poos and trodden them into the floor so i had to wash his feet. They were like cetrophs but lots of them.

Aww I don't know, but didn't want to leave this thread without replying, I'm sure someone who knows more than me will be able to help

My Clover has spells like this - he's had more green stuff the last couple of days (brambles, dandelions, a bit of grass) and the squishy poops are quite a few, but I've learnt what his poop routine is like, and it will settle in a few days again. (It's nothing like it was before I joined here - he used to get great lumps of poop stuck on his bum and we'd be washing his bottom every few days - poor fella)

Do you give him pellets? Is he overweight do you think?

From what I know uneaten cecals are usually to do with diet (too much protein- from the pellets, too many treats, not enough hay, too many greens, a change in diet). Sometimes they can be an indicator of dental problems, are his normal poos ok? Is he eating well enough?

He doesnt have any pellets. He just has hay and green veg (spring greens, celery, green cabbage). He is very small really (he is the cream bunny in the picture). He is eating lots of hay with no problem and eats all the greens I give him. He would eat more greens if I gave them him too.

I know that my other bunny has totally fine poops but I dont know if he has normal ones or just the squishy ones, but there are a lot of squishy poops today.

Should I stop feeding greens for a bit or cut them down??

You could try and just feed him hay for a while and see if that sorts out his tummy. Keep a close eye on him and see how he is eating and if there is any change in the amount or size of his dry poos just to make sure his teeth are ok etc.

You could always try adding some avipro or other probiotic to his water, which might help.

What kind of poop would indicate teeth problems?

Where can I get avipro? I will try that :)

Really not sure what to do about this. I have stopped feeding him fresh food so he is just on hay as from this morning, but still squishy poos today. Don't know if I am doing the right thing?

Really not sure what to do about this. I have stopped feeding him fresh food so he is just on hay as from this morning, but still squishy poos today. Don't know if I am doing the right thing?

You may need to give it a few days to see a difference :)

Am i best to stick with no fresh food for a few days then? He is eating plenty hay, but I don't want him to starve. :cry:

Am i best to stick with no fresh food for a few days then? He is eating plenty hay, but I don't want him to starve. :cry:

If you're worried why not try him with just one kind of fresh food? If things don't change then swap it for a different fresh food?

I order Avipro from here: https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Health+%2526+Hygiene.12/Avipro+Plus.352.html

You can also get it from Vetuk http://www.vetuk.co.uk/

I have attched this links which might help.. http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3012

Give him a hay only diet for a few days and see if that helps, then introduce veg slowly and one at a time to make sure bunny can tolerate it.

I have dental bunnies and I notice that they need dentals when they become picky over what they eat and that their normal dry poos are much smaller than usual, they sometimes don't eat all their cecals. That's why I am saying just to keep an eye out for this just incase, but hopefully the hay only diet will resolve it.

Last edited:
Hi, yes I'd stick to hay and water for a few days - it'll do no harm.

I found one of mine (they are siblings) had a very sensitive tum when he was young just one or two more pellets or a square inch more of cabbage would produce excess caceotrophes. They are 20 months now and he can eat lots more veg without a problem.

It could be the quantity of veg or a particular veg. I would wait until he has had a good few days of no squishy poops, even a week, and then introduce one veg at a time a tiny bit at a time (I'd start with celery, maybe 1" cut in to slices) continue with the same amount for a few days if no change before trying another veg. Perhaps try some herbs, corinander, parsley, mint or some rocket rather than kale/cabbage or spring greens.

You should be able to ask your vet for a little pot of Avipro or you can get it online I think - Vet UK ?

Will putting the Avipro into the water bottle be okay for my other bunny? (she doesnt drink much water but does drink a small amount)

Reading that article, his diet is good and so it could only really be the other problems including the teeth. However, I got him only 3 weeks ago from the RSPCA and so I don't know about the teeth because these would have been checked out around a couple of months ago. :?

Avipro is a probiotic so will do no harm to your other rabbit although I think it is best to feed it on food, just a little sprinkle although its best if the food is damp for it to stick.

Thank you :)
I will order some Avipro and stick to hay until it comes, then put it on a bit of celery and hope he gets better.

It could just be that he isn't used to having a much veg or that he isn't used to certain veg- some rabbits can't tolerate some types of veggies. Try him on unlimted hay for a few days. I'm sure it will resolve itself, but keep an eye out anyway ( I am super concious about dentals- the last 4 bunnies I have had have been dental buns, I didn't mean to scare you!)

I would say that avipro is ok to put in the drinking water for both bunnies. My bunnies seem to really like it and drink much more water than usual :)

Back