• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New arrival at Bunny Buddies - pics post 9

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
Last year, a lady brought in one of her rabbits to my work. She had been attacked by one of her hutch mates (the lady was keeping 3 un-neutered females together). This rabbit had a huge open wound on her back and the lady could not afford to get her treated. She signed her over to me and Paul and I got her treated, spayed and vaccinated and she is now living in a great home with a neutered male :)

She later rehomed one of the other females to her friend, leaving one on her own (I tried explaining that she should neuter them etc etc but it fell on deaf ears!)

This same lady phoned up the vets today saying her rabbit was lethargic and had a very mucky bum. The nurse told her we needed to see the rabbit today but the woman said she couldn't as she had to take her son to swimming!?! The nurse asked her to try and arrange someone to bring her in and call us back.

I answered her next call. She said she could not bring her in until tomorrow as she doesn't have a car and her mum would have to give her a lift. I asked her if she could get a taxi and she said she couldn't afford the £10 it would cost her! She agreed to get her friend to give her a lift and leave the bunny with us and she could collect her from us tomorrow.

When she arrived, she immediately asked me how much it would cost. I explained that it would really depend on what treatment the vet decided to give her but would probably be around £30-£50. She said she couldn't afford this and asked if I would take her. After a lengthy discussion with her, I agreed to take her on but only if she gave me a donation for her treatment, which she did.

This poor bunny is extremely overweight. In fact, she is the fattest rabbit I have ever held! Her top right incisor is missing and her bottom is very mucky. She seems to be eating ok which is a blessing but is petrified :cry:

She is staying at the vets tonight and we will be bringing her home tomorrow. She will be given a new name, put on a diet, spayed and vaccinated and will then be looking for a new home.

Will get pics as soon as she has settled.

Yet another misunderstood bunny :cry:

Last edited:
What a sad story :( People seem to think because a rabbit costs £20 its care and upkeep will be cheap :(

Aww the poor bunny :( i hope she settles in with you quickly and is able to find her forever home soon. Some people really have no idea what animals need and require its such a shame when you hear about stories like this. I'm glad the bunny is able to get a chance at a new life due to you :D cant wait to see some photos of her soon

So glad you took her in, it angers me that people are able to buy animals on a whim and have no intention or ability to take care of them properly.

Hope she will be ok and looking forward to piccies xx

So glad you took her in, it angers me that people are able to buy animals on a whim and have no intention or ability to take care of them properly.

Hope she will be ok and looking forward to piccies xx

Thanks Aimee.

It was her attitude that upset me most.

She even asked me if I wanted the big bag of food she has left...when she told me it was Tesco value rabbit muesli, I think you can guess what my answer was!!!

Thanks Aimee.

It was her attitude that upset me most.

She even asked me if I wanted the big bag of food she has left...when she told me it was Tesco value rabbit muesli, I think you can guess what my answer was!!!

Some people! I don't know how you cope with it!

At least she is in your care now though :)

I must admit that I was surprised at how expensive having a pet can be, particularly vet bills. But, having got one, I think it is a commitment you have to take seriously and be prepared to find the money.

It would be useful if pets shops had an information sheet at the side of the pets they sell giving an estimate of neutering fees, jabs, etc. This would probably deter casual purchasers. But I can't see them doing that as they wouldn't sell many if people really thought through the potential cost.

Please meet Minnie.

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

(Sorry this one is not very clear, I took the pic through the mesh of the Wendy House window)
IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

She came home with us today. She is GROSSLY overweight and is bald just under her dewlap where she has been nesting :cry: (she is having a phantom pregnancy)

She will be looking for a home with a neutered male once she has lost weight, been spayed and fully vaccinated. We are happy for her to be reserved now to go to her new home when she is ready.

Please PM me or e-mail us on bunnybuddies@hotmail.co.uk if you are interested in this poor little sweetheart.

Thank you,

Erin and Paul. x

Last edited:
oh dear

I'm ashamed to say both our buns are overweight. Our efforts to slim Buffy downn were undermined when she lived with her previous husbun, because she ate the lions share of what went into the hutch. Since his death, and with her new husbun, things are a bit fairer, but he was on the chubby side when he came, and even though they free-range, they still live to eat, and spend most of their time in the garden either nibbling or resting under a bush!

I guess having fat buns makes me unsuitable to foster a Malvern bun :(

I'm ashamed to say both our buns are overweight. Our efforts to slim Buffy downn were undermined when she lived with her previous husbun, because she ate the lions share of what went into the hutch. Since his death, and with her new husbun, things are a bit fairer, but he was on the chubby side when he came, and even though they free-range, they still live to eat, and spend most of their time in the garden either nibbling or resting under a bush!

I guess having fat buns makes me unsuitable to foster a Malvern bun :(

The way we got Isabelle to lose weight, and the way Minnie will lose hers too, was to cut right back on dried food. Minnie was having a whole bowl of Tesco muesli every day with her previous owner and will now only be having a teaspoon of SS mixed with Allen and Page.

awww that poor baby :( people like that are disgusting, though at least she didn't want to keep her in a way.. otherwise the bun may have had a worse fate :(

well done for being so compassionate :) I hope she finds a new loving home soon!!

Back