• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nest Building UPDATE POST 9

BooMoo

Warren Scout
Maisy will not stop making nests. She has had a false pregnancy before but it didn't last very long.
She started this one about 5-6 weeks ago with pulling her fur out from her chest and front legs. This has stopped and even grown back now but she still drags every last bit of sawdust/straw into her bed area.
What is bothering me is that she will pull her litter tray off the hooks and empty it out completly. This means she ends up sleeping in her dirty litter. She carries on weeing in the corner but with no litter tray there so it gets very wet and messy very quickly. I think she stands in it etc and she becomes a mess and so does the rest of the hutch.
Is this normal? and for it to last this long!?

(she is not spayed yet because they won't spay her whilst shes building nests... but she won't stop)

Last edited:
Why don't they neuter her while she is building nests? If it's 100% certain that she's not pregnant, then there is no reason why she shouldn't be neutered. It will make her hormones calm down eventually and she will stop building nests. And then you can find her a friend, too. Maybe you could change your vet to someone who knows more about rabbits? I am sure some other forum members in your area can recommend a good vet.

In the meantime, try and put a lot of newspaper in the hutch, that will soak up some of the wee. We do not recommend saw dust, as it can irritate eyes and nose (bunny's and yours).

She is 100% not pregnant and the vet said that it is because her ovaries are more active and it is harder to do the op (I think)

Newspaper is a good idea actually but I think she still might scratch that up :/

I haven't heard this before, and I have to say it wouldn't give me much confidence in your vets, have you used them much, do you think they are good with bunnies?

There are two vets we use... we have taken our dog to both. The one I got this information from was vets for pets Beeston (I have been told on here that vets for pets Gedling are good).
However when Frank was attacked we took him to another one that we have been using longer and they were very good with him so maybe I should phone and ask the the same question.
So you think if I get her spayed it will stop?

Yes spaying will definitely help, it may take a little while for her hormones to settle down after. I would call your other vet and see what they say :)

Yes, just as I thought! I've been out to Maisy, cleaned her dirty litter up and put newspaper down, then the litter tray and toys on top. No longer than 5 mins later I go back to her and the newspaper is all scrunched up and shes ripping it to pieces.
Plus I found new clumps of fur :roll:

Will have to call them tomorrow now :)

I really do think she needs spaying, my rabbit started the same thing 2 wks ago and I took her to my vets and was told it's hormonal and won't stop till she's spayed.

And my rabbit also won't leave the paper down, she pulls it up and eats it :roll:

She was spayed 3 weeks ago and we have only just put the bed/second level bit back in (we took it out to stop her jumping up and down)

She has started already moving every last bit of hay etc into the bed area, inc dirty litter like before.

I thought she would stop this after her spay!

It just causes so much hassle and mess.

She will still be hormonal for about 6 weeks after her spay, thats probably why she is still nesting :) Mine got spayed during a false pregnancy and they ripped their stitches out :shock: not sure if it was related but I wouldn't risk it again :wave:

Back