• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit gone off food..

vee-jay

Mama Doe
Hi
Went down to see one of my rabbits today to find him lying in his house area...now this is odd seeing as he is usually up at the door when i go in.
While cleaning out I also noticed he seemed a bit reluctant to move and when he did he would hop a few steps and just lye down again...I offered him some food and water but he refused!:shock:
Any thoughts on what could be wrong?
only things that have changed are that he hasent been in his run for a few days as we returfed and painted it and he was given an apple log a few days ago. His girlfriend is perfectly normal
Thanks

Hmm it sounds like it could be gut stasis or something like that. A bun thats not eating is an EMERGENCY as this is very dangerous, so id advise getting him to a vet ASAP, absolutely definatly today.
In the meantime bring him inside and put him in a carrier with a hot water bottle underneath a towel or blanket as he may be having trouble keeping warm.
Good luck, i hope hes ok xxx

thanks guys
I have him on my lap at them moment and he is being a bit of a handfull:lol:
He has been running about a bit, he just seems a little quiet that all...
phoneing vet in a min

Its great that hes being a pain and has obv got alot of fight in him ;)
its the not eating and drinking that is a big problem. Hope he gets on ok at the vets. I'm currently waiting by the phone for my vet to call about my poorly bun :( Theyre such a worry!

Its great that hes being a pain and has obv got alot of fight in him ;)
its the not eating and drinking that is a big problem. Hope he gets on ok at the vets. I'm currently waiting by the phone for my vet to call about my poorly bun :( Theyre such a worry!

yes...I was actually happy he was nipping me and being a wee git for once!:lol:

I just put him back in his house and i offered him a bit of dried apple again...he took it this time and generally seems a bit better:)
Will keep watching him closely tho....your right they are such a worry!

Sorry to hear about your poorly bun:(, I hope he gets better.

thank you

Back