• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pin worms

weedug

Mama Doe
Honey, my new rescue rabbit, has what looks like pin worms. Other than worming her do I need to do anything else? Do I need to take all her toys away from her (not all of them obviously, but the ones she has been playing with when she's out) and keep her in her cage? Does this mean that my other 2 will get them? And is E. cuniculi totally different, or are the worms a sign of it?

She has been kept separate from my other 2, with her own toys, food bowl and water bottle.

Sorry for all the questions but I am in a right flap (I flap easily :lol::lol:). She's got the vet this afternoon for an MOT anyway, but any advice just now would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
If you haven't already heard from your vet, you just need to give Honey a 9 day course of Panacur. I'd clean out her litter tray and living area every day though to break the cycle as soon as possible also.

Should clear up in a few days.

My Bunny had pin worms when we first got her - she must have had them before we got her as they started coming out a few days later. I panicked though and took her to the vet as I was new to owning bunnies and I somehow got it into my head that it might be flystrike! :oops:

I was given some Panacur for her - I was told that I'd see loads of dead worms come out, but I didn't. It cleared up pretty quickly too.

As Mad Bunster says, clean her litter tray out at least once a day and she should be fine :)

Well we're just back from the vet, with a 28 day course of Panacur for Honey, Mr Bubbles and Faith ( for worms and a E. cuniculi prevention), and not much money left :lol:.

The good news is that Honey seems fine. The vet agrees she's not the 5 months I was told, more like 1 or 2 years old. Her teeth seem fine, and her operation sites have healed fine. She's had her myxi and is due her Lapinject VHD in 2 weeks. She tends to have sneezing fits, with no discharge from nose or eyes. Vet reckoned it is allergies.

I feel so much better having her all checked out :).

I will make sure I clean her out thoroughly every day. She hasn't been outside yet, I've been bringing bits of grass to her so will bin the ones she had when she is finished with them.

Last edited:
Back