• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis last night but looking slightly odd today?

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Right for once it wasn't Honey that had the stasis it was Roly who has never suffered from it before. Last night he was refusing to take treats at 10pm and so after giving him some fibreplex and metacam myself he hadn't really changed much 2 hours later. Although he was doing a few poos and drinking Roly has never suffered this problem before and so we took him to the emergency vets in case there was something serious going on at around 1am.

While he was there he got a pain killer (not metacam unsure what it was), anti-inflamatory, metaclopromide and fluids into the area behind his shoulder. He came back home, brightened up and immediately started eating and pooing again and so he got put back in his shed with Honey along with 2 snugglesafe's in their hide box. The vet did say to keep him inside but we thought it'd be better if he was with Honey on familiar ground and our vet wasn't aware he was kept in a shed.

Anyway today I noticed he has what looks like a great big flap of loose skin hanging down over one front leg. It looks similar on the other side but it's not obvious. Is this the fluids he was given last night? Although Honey is prone to bouts of stasis my old vet never gave her fluids this way before.

Big thumbs up to "Pet Friends" in Stenhousemuir, my bill came to £102 and that was with all the above treatment plus some critical care to take home. The vet I seen was obviously very good with bunbuns. :)

Poor Roly :( I've no idea what the flap is, but i'd give the vets a quick ring and ask their advice, they may want to see him again or maybe it is a common side effect and they can then put your mind at rest straight away? Is it a swelling do you think or a completely loose flap? Let us know how you get on ;)

Poor Roly :( I've no idea what the flap is, but i'd give the vets a quick ring and ask their advice, they may want to see him again or maybe it is a common side effect and they can then put your mind at rest straight away? Is it a swelling do you think or a completely loose flap? Let us know how you get on ;)

It's not a swelling and it feels liquidy if that makes sense. I'm at work at the moment but my mum has taken him back to the vet this morning. I've not had a break yet so unsure how she got on.

A side effect of sub cute fluids can be local oedema (large fluid volume in the circulatory system or in tissues between the body's cells). I think it can sometimes be resolved by gentle massage. I'd definately seek a vets advise though.

The vet confirmed it was the fluids that was causing the flappyness and assured us they'd be absorbed. Sure wnough when I went over tonight he was back to normal.

It was odd having a bunny with bingo wings.:shock:

Back