• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Inner ear infection,severe head tilt and rolling U/D Advise for Graeme plz pg34

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Just woke up to give the buns their breakfast and mimi didnt come out. So i had a look at her and shes behaving really wierdly. Shes moving her head from side to side and like i say not eating. Shes moving a little but seems distressed.
Its almost as though shes either suddenly blind or ( GOD FORBID) displaying signs of Ec? Im rushing her to the vets as soon ad they open. My god im in a panic. And ideas anyone?

Vibes for my mimi please :cry:

Last edited:
No idea what it could be, but just wanted to send positive vibes that it will be something easily sorted.
xx

Try to remain calm around her (I know how difficult that is).

Lots of vibes being sent, please keep us updated.

EC is a possibility, but it could be n ear infection - they tend to be hugely painful and disorientating.
Fingers crossed things go ok at the vets.

Ok just got back from the vets. He had a quick look at her while i was there and thinks EC is unlikely as it doesnt usually present with these symptoms. He thinks it might be a brain anyerism ( sp) Apparantly hes had another bun in with very similar symptoms ie. eyes flickering,head moving from side to side and this is what it was. theyre keeping her in and will call me this afternoon. Has anyones bun had this or does anyone know anything about it?
I didnt take timmy in with her coz the last thing i need is for him to get ill from stress. But now im so worried about her at the vets on her own, she'll be so scared p:cry:

It doesnt matter how knowledfeable u are with ur buns, when something like this happens u go into blind panic so i need u guys to plz be my perspective.
I cant lose her so soon after losing tilly and nor can timmy. Shes only been with us for 4months but we love her so much :cry:

:( tripling my vibes for you. Maybe Timmy should go in there with her though? He will miss her if he's at home without her and she'll be missing him so it's more stress... I could be wrong though it's only what I've heard, never been in this situation before. will be thinking of you xxx

Thanku for ur support :)
im trying to research it but if u type in 'brain aneurysm rabbit' on google it just comes up with loads of medical research thats been done ON rabbits URGH :censored:

if anyone has any info itd be very welcome. If not plz keep the vibes coming for my little lady :cry:

:( urgh

Ive had look in Rabbitlopedia and my other rabbit books, and House Rabbit Society website, but no joy.... think its internal bleeding in his brain or a clot in humans...

lots of vibes xx

Thanks nicola.
All the research ive found on eye flickering points to either a stroke (which i think is linked to an aneurysm) or a deep inner ear infection.
Im obviously praying that its the latter and we can get her better with antibiotics and loads of TLC.
poor timmy knows theres something wrong :( the first incling i had this morning that something wasnt right was the look in his eyes :cry:
hopefully she'll be back with us this afternoon, if not i'll definatly take him in to be with her. Yucky

Thanks nicola.
All the research ive found on eye flickering points to either a stroke (which i think is linked to an aneurysm) or a deep inner ear infection.
Im obviously praying that its the latter and we can get her better with antibiotics and loads of TLC.
poor timmy knows theres something wrong :( the first incling i had this morning that something wasnt right was the look in his eyes :cry:
hopefully she'll be back with us this afternoon, if not i'll definatly take him in to be with her. Yucky

You poor thing you must be tearing your hair out with worry, fingers and paws crossed and good luck vibes:love:

Thanks nicola.
well I think the fact we can't find any info means that aneurysms must be incredibly rare. Good luck will be thinking of her today, sending vibes xxx

Eye "flickering" can indicate many conditions. If the nystagmus is up and down, it usually means a neurological condition, and side to side an ear prob. Which direction is her nystagmus?

I THINK it was side to side so fingers crossed its an ear infection or something easily treated. My heart stops beating every time my phone rings, im so desperate yo hear news even though i know it wont be until this afternoon :(

Back