• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny coming- they are home.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
I''ve just had a call from the vet, she has seen a bunny today- severely overweight and unable to clean herself. The owner has been doing her best to clean her but has to do so on her own, but more worryingly whenever the bunny gets stressed her eyes bulge very badly, tonight the 3rd eyelid has completely filled up, the vet has no idea why, although is wondering if it has to do with blood pressure and obeseity?
When she started to talk to the owner about treatment, the owner burst into tears and said she couldn't cope, the vet asked if she was looking at rehoming ( worried that the owner wanted to PTS) but the owner has agreed and we pick her up tomorrow evening.

Anyway, any ideas as to what could be causing the bulgy eyes, and the best way to deal with this, she is starting on metacam tonight, but not sure what else.

We pick her up tomorrow, because we will hopefully also be collecting a cat, who is booked in to be PTS, but will be offered to option to rehome to us.:(

Last edited:
The bulging eyes may well be due to raised BP.

If the problem is constant then it might be indicative of a heart problem or a Thymoma.

I'd want some diagnostics run if the problem persists. Weightloss should help but will need to be done very gradually.

Good luck with her xx

Thanks Jane.

I'll see how she goes and hopefully she will improve with the weight loss, she is 3.5 kg and the vet thinks she should be about 2.5kgs. I don't even know what breed she is. I think she has been fed excel and very little hay, so that will be something we can sort easily and hopefully slow down the wet poop output and also help drop the weight.
She is about 2 we think, why couldn't she be a boy, we have a couple of single girls and now this one.

I've found out a bit more about the bunny, she has had eye problems since she was young, so am I right in thinking if it is anything it is more likely to be a congenital heart problem- she wouldn' have been obese and would be unlikely to have a thymoma at that age?

I will try and get some weight off her first and it would be nice if the eye problem disappeared but if not, she still needs to lose weight before being sedated. She has been bred from :roll:, has never been vaccinate and (obviously) is unspeyed. I guess if she does end up having a heart problem we may notbe able to spey her anyway.

I'm in the process of setting up a cage for her, next I have to prepare the spare bedroom, just in case another owner allows their cat to be rehomed- she's only 8, and being PTS because she is peeing in the house and the owner doesn't think she will settle elsewhere- even though it sounds like stress is causing this problem in the first place!

Last edited:
I'm so pleased, the owners are going rehome the cat too.
We pick them both up at 6.30pm.:D

I am ridiculously pleased, especially after the last cat who was PTS for no real reason.

Bunny is in a really bad way, I have never seem anything like it. Her third eyelids have heamorrhaged so where her third eyelid should be there is an area, the same size as her eye, bloody and dry. She is also overweight, she looks like a lionhead so should be about 2.5kg and is 3.7kg, the hope is the weight has caused high blood pressure and this has caused the eyelids to bleed.
She is called Katie and is jet black, seems a nice girl although we have avoided handling her too much, as we don't stress her any more than she already is.:(

We are also are heart sick at the condition of Molly, the cat, she is 8kgs in weight :shock: , stinks to high heaven ( after being bathed at the vet), we think has fleas, is bald over her tummy and red raw around her tail and bottom. It is suspected she has cystitis, although it could be something more sinister.She was taken to the vet regularly until a couple of years ago, and I suspect they then had children and Molly was forgotten about. She was being PTS even though peeing in the house only started a couple of weeks ago.

The plan for both is to treat the conditions and gradually lose weight, and hopefully removing the cause of the problems.

Back