• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need help..:!

CinnamonAndNutmeg

Warren Scout
Cinnamon And Nutmeg have just been to the vets to have their Myxo vaccine!
it went well, but the vet said nutmeg was a bit over weight....(we'd gone on holiday and came back to see she was a fatty)...so ive slowly started reducing the food, but last time this happened, she got colic,..... what am i doing wrong????
Thank you

do they have straw in for them? because my bunny used to love to eat straw and this can give them colic I think....... so if she was hungry she might have eaten a lot of straw and given herself colic. if you do, take out the straw. my buns are fatties, i have to give them an egg cup sized portion of pellets and loads of hay.

How much dry food do you give them? It's meant to be roughly an eggcup full a day for a medium size rabbit. Make sure there's limitless quality hay (there are loads of yummy varieties on 'The Hay Experts') and reduce their carrot to one small one a day between them, max. If I were you I'd cut out all fruit too as it doesn't do them any good.

Also, how much exercise do they get? How big is their hutch/run and how often do they freerange? Exercise is very important for buns, and like with people it's a crucial part of helping them lose weight. :D

Last edited:
Thank you for replying! Well, they do sleep on straw.... they dont go freerange because our fences have holes (so until we fix them up there in a good size run they always get excersise and they dont get much cereal

thank you

Mmmm - not actually sure that straw would cause weight gain as it's incredibly low in nutritional value. But I suppose it's worth changing them onto something else like Megazorb, just to see.

My very rabbit savvy vet suggests feeding as close to a natural diet as possible if you're trying to diet a bunny ie. lots and lots of grass, plenty of hay and lots of fresh green veg. Feed pellets as a treat only ie. a tablespoon or less per day and feed them from a treat ball so they have to work to get them. Don't feed fruit and keep root veg to a minimum as it's high in natural sugars. Scatter feed to encourage your bunnies to forage for their food, bury fresh veg in hay so they've got to dig for it and, if possible, allow lots of free-range time in the garden so they are running around. I've also hung fresh veg on string from the shed roof so they've had to periscope to reach it - it all adds to the exercise they're getting.

Good luck!

dont think it can cause weight gain just colic is what i meant :) could be wrong though somebody was posting about it a few days ago

thanks for replying! the thing is, a vet once said to me that tooo much hay is not good, but MY vet said there is no such thing as TOO MUCH hay.....hmmmmmm

thank you!

thanks for replying! the thing is, a vet once said to me that tooo much hay is not good, but MY vet said there is no such thing as TOO MUCH hay.....hmmmmmm

thank you!

Woah! There is NO SUCH THING as too much hay for buns (except alfalfa)!!!! Nope, feed 'em all the hay they'll eat. It's very important for their teeth as well as their tums.

Back