• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this right??

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Hiya

I was speaking with my cousin today and the conversation got round to bunnies (mostly because I appear to have become bunny-mad since looking after Mitzy and my cousin has a netherland dwarf) and she was saying that she had a groomer come round to clip her bunnies nails and whilst she was there she mentioned that she was a vet nurse and only did the bunny grooming as a side line.

She very kindly checked over my cousins bunny (she did have two bunnies but sadly one of them went to bunny heaven) and said that everything looked ok and asked if she'd thought about having him (definite HE) 'done' ......then went on to dissuade her from having it done because he could die following the op!!

She said the reason was because of body temp and because he didn't have anyone to snuggle up to in the hutch anymore, he'd probably die from cold!

I asked her if the vet nurse had mentioned just simply bringing him inside for a couple of days following the op .... but apparently not!

Do you think she's giving out bad advice here or what, cos it all seems a bit odd to me.

Cheers, Jo & Mitzy

Yes I think that's definitely duff advice! :roll:

It's true that after the anaesthetic they can get chilly but they don't need another rabbit to keep them warm - in fact if a rabbits just been "done" even if they have a partner they should be kept separate so their wound doesn't get damaged - they just need to be kept indoors until they have recovered if they are outdoor buns and have something nice and snuggly to lie on in a warm room, i just turned the heating up.

yeah i agree, all you need to do is bring them inside for 10 days, and it says that in the post-neuter notes I got when I had mine done... very bizarre :roll:

I agree with the above, very bad advice! Considering people who neuter to bond will normally have 2 separate buns at the time of bonding...

All my buns I've had neutered have been single at the time of doing, and i've kept inside for 3 days or so (depending on how well they seem) and they've all been ok. :)

Back