• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Looking Unwell, not sure what to do D:

Hi. I've noticed my rabbit's been looking a little unwell the past few days, he's been lying down alot (I read this is either because he is hot or to help him pass gas) and he's not been eating much. His cage is also unusually clean, so I'm beggining to think he might be constipated. He's a Netherland Dwarf, and he's about three years old. Anyone have any ideas on what's wrong or how to help him? Anything would help!

I wish I could. I've been telling my mum what's happening, and I even showed her the messages you've been posting, and she keeps saying vets are too expensive. I've told her I'll pay for it with my own monnsy but she just won't listen. This is exactly what happened with my last rabbit. She caught sniffles and my mum said she would be just fine. She died a few days after.

Right, we've phoned the vet, and we're going to take him up now for a check up. I just hope to God he's okay, I don't think I could take it if anything happened to him...

Last edited:
Sorry to say this but if your mum isn't willing to pay for vet treatment for your pets, you shouldn't have any pets. I'm quite surprised that she is being so irresponsible and encouraging you to be irresponsible too.

I wish I could. I've been telling my mum what's happening, and I even showed her the messages you've been posting, and she keeps saying vets are too expensive. I've told her I'll pay for it with my own monnsy but she just won't listen. This is exactly what happened with my last rabbit. She caught sniffles and my mum said she would be just fine. She died a few days after.

It is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE to deny Veterinary Treatment to a sick animal.

How old are you ?
If you are over 16 you can take the Rabbit to the Vet yourself regardless of what your Mother says. If you are under 16 then your Mother is legally responsible for the Rabbit's Welfare and could be prosecuted if the Rabbit is left to suffer.

Perhaps you can show your Mother this post.

I'm 14 right now. Thankfully I've convinced her to get him checked out, and we're getting a taxi up soon. My mum's a really nice person-she loves my rabbits as much as I do, and I'm sure she wouldn't do anything to hurt them. I think she just wants to say that he's okay and not make a big fuss over things, if anything big is wrong with him, I'm positive she'll do everything she can to help him, just as I will too.

Last edited:
Unfortunately rabbits are very good at hiding pain and illness till late stages so as soon as you notice you have to act quick.

I've taken him to the vets, and he got an injection (Much to his dismay, he nearly leapt off the examination table!) amy104, thank you for the link, that looks like it's exactly what he had. But he's started eating now, he hasn't started passing stools, but the vet said the injection will take an hour or two to start working. We also have some injections to give him ourselves (Don't think he's gonna like that), so I think I've got my work cut out for me over the next few days. Thank you all for helping me, if you hadn't helped me find the problem, he could have been dead right now. Thank you so mich everyone!

Last edited:
We have to give him food injections for a few days, and add some powder to his water, and if he isn't looking any better tomorrow to bring him back. But he's munching away at some straw right now, so I think the crisis is over :)

I think it's hay he's got, it looks like it. He's leaving stools now, and he's back to himself, so it looks like he'll be just fine.The vet gave us some food injections as I think I mentioned earler, but he is NOT having any of that, he goes nuts when we take a syringe near him. But the important stuff we have to give him is dilutable with water,and he's drinking that fine.

Back