• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can Scamp have some 'get well soon' vibes please? Update 750 - Jason called!

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Scamp is really poorly :cry::cry:

Scamp was neutered Tuesday. All went ok and he was back to normal wednesday afternoon, pooing and weeing fine, and also eating fine. Last night, i went to fed him his supper (a handful of junior SS pellets and an inch of carrot) and he started eating it normally. As i was about to walk out the kitchen i knew something wasnt right. He was sort of, froze on the spot with his neck up in the air trying to be sick? I picked him up and rushed him into Dan whilst i called the vets. Dan was rubbing his throat and he was bringin the food back up. It was all coming down his nose and he was making an awful renching noise :cry:

I took him to the emergency vets, who was absolutely rubbish! He gave him a pain relief and an antibiotics injection and sent us home :?

I only let Scamp have hay last night, and he certainly wasnt himself. He was laid on his blanket all night, whereas hes normally running round like something possesed.

Scamp had a follow up app this morning for his post op check. I spoke to the vet about it and she said she thought it was a one off and to feed him as normal when i got home. WHen i got home, i hand fed him 7 SS pellets, and it started again. His lips turned blue, all the food was coming from his nose/mouth and he went all floppy. His tummy was all sucked in and he was making an awful rasping noise and renching :cry: Took him to the vets (Mike who is a half decent bunny vet) and he thinks he has gut stasis? But Scamp is weeing/pooing normally?? He gave him a gut stimulant, pain relief and an abx injection.

I have to feed him again at 2, and if it happens again theyre going to admit him. Only think is im scared were going to loose him when i fed him at 2 :cry::cry: What if it happens again?

Please can my baby have vibes? I cant loose him now :cry::cry: xXx

Last edited:
Vibes to your baby boy! My baby boy is poorly too (well, he's nearly 3 but he's still my baby) so I'm stressing with you. :(

Hmm this sounds very strange, not really like stasis (although he may well have it now from the stress of the vets) but more like choking???

I really hope your little man is ok. Sending loads of vibes for him xxx

Hmm this sounds very strange, not really like stasis (although he may well have it now from the stress of the vets) but more like choking???

I really hope your little man is ok. Sending loads of vibes for him xxx

This is what i said to the vet :? Its as if nothing can get pass the pipe that takes his food to his tummy?

The vet said sometimes when they get stasis, their tummy wont let them take any food in? He said his guts are very enlarged. I dont know what to think :cry:

Blimey poor Scamp :cry:

Did they intubate him when he had his GA?

If so could the breathing tube have injured his trachea ?

Can you make his pellet feed soft so it'll be easier to swallow.

Blimey poor Scamp :cry:

Did they intubate him when he had his GA?

If so could the breathing tube have injured his trachea ?

Can you make his pellet feed soft so it'll be easier to swallow.

I dont know if they did intubate him when he had his GA. I'll ask when we go back. That would explain it though Jane, as it seems thats where the problem is.

I'll try softening the pellets now when i feed him. Maybe that will help xXx

I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and hope Scamp gets better soon xxx

I dont know if they did intubate him when he had his GA. I'll ask when we go back. That would explain it though Jane, as it seems thats where the problem is.

I'll try softening the pellets now when i feed him. Maybe that will help xXx

I'd definately stick with soft moist food for now til you can ask the Vet re the intubation.

Has he had some Metacam in the last 24 hours? If not I'd call the Vet and ask if you can administer some now.

I'd definately stick with soft moist food for now til you can ask the Vet re the intubation.

Has he had some Metacam in the last 24 hours? If not I'd call the Vet and ask if you can administer some now.

Yeah he had a metacam this morning at the vets, about 11.30am.

If it is his trachea thats damaged what will the outcome be Jane? Will it heal by itself? :(

Thanks for all the vibes guys, i hope they work :cry: Its just the way his lips have turned blue both times :cry:

Yeah he had a metacam this morning at the vets, about 11.30am.

If it is his trachea thats damaged what will the outcome be Jane? Will it heal by itself? :(

Thanks for all the vibes guys, i hope they work :cry: Its just the way his lips have turned blue both times :cry:

Hopefully it should heal in a few days with good abx and anti-inflammatory cover aswell as feeding soft moist foods.

Did the Vet examine his throat at all :? If he has a tracheitis he will be very sensitive to touch his throat area.

Hey Becky, i agree with Jane - sounds like tracheitis/oesophagitis or oesophageal stricture from the anaesthesia. Definately DON'T feed him anything else solid. Well mushed pellets in very small quantities and soft hay only. Trying to remmeber how they diagnose it - might need contrast x-ray but think they'd have to GA him again, which obviously wouldnt be a great idea. Might see some structural changes on ultrasound but i dont remember. If its simple inflammation it should heal with abx, anti-inflammatories and either soft food and/or fluid therapy.

Hopefully it should heal in a few days with good abx and anti-inflammatory cover aswell as feeding soft moist foods.

Did the Vet examine his throat at all :? If he has a tracheitis he will be very sensitive to touch his throat area.

Didnt examine his throat :( He did give him a good check over everywhere else :? Just not his throat. Temp slightly raised but nothing too bad, guts felt much bigger than they should be. Tummy was totally empty (obviously as he cant keep the food down)

Im just waiting for some pellets to cool, going to try him on them. Hes eating hay like its gone out of fashion :?

Thanks Vikki, i think it sounds like that too, but i guess the vet wouldnt admit to that would they :roll: Im seeing the vet who did the neuter tomorrow, so i can ask then :) xx

They should admit to it, or at least say its a possibility. If he's loving the hay then let him pile it in, will do him no harm to fill up on that and might improve his gut motility too. just dont let him gorge on the mushed pellets as it'll be harder to regurgitate if necessary.

Back