• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental bun after op questions

parkfieldstud

Warren Scout
Hello
Randy had is front teeth removed back ones filled down and was castrated yesterday. Hes home and seems happen enough still trying to hump a bit but I relise it will be a good few weeks for his hormones to pass. I have seen him grooming himself this morning which is a first.
Hes not eatten anything well I say that I mean his pellets/hay before his op he didn't eat anything apart from apple and I was syringe feeding him which he took himself i just offered him the syringe and he would lick it up. I gave him some liquid food when he came home and last night and again this morning hes had some apple too. I just wonder when I can expect him to eat his pellets/hay I feel quite worried that nothings going to change I'm sure i'm just expecting too much could it take a few days? hes got pain relieve, should I keep syringe feeding him or do you think that would discourage him from eatting solids? Any points regarding what I could tempt him with and he needs to pile on some pounds,
Thanks in advance x

I would continue the syringe feeds for another couple of days as his gums will be sore from the Incisor extraction and so he may be reluctant to pick up hard food/hay

You could try a mix of gratted apple/carrot plus some cut up herbs such as Rosemary or Corriander. Strong herbal flavours often tempt Bunnies to eat.

You could also try making his usual pellet feed soft by soaking it in boiled water.

If he's used to eating grass he may be able to manage that if you pull some up for him. Go for the coarse fibrous stuff rather than the soft newgrowth.

Hiya,
Glad to hear he sounds quite "well" in himself after his ops.

Have you got a hand blender? For my incisorless bunny, I chucked all her veg into a hand blender and fed her the mush so that she didn't have to have anything rub on her sore gums for the first few days. Then i moved to a coarser mix and eventually to it just chopped up finely which she manages fine.

For hay, it took her a few weeks to get the hang of getting the strands in her mouth so i cut up her hay into 3" bits and she slowly got used to it again.

When Blakey had her front teeth out I was given some critical care with an aniseed-y type flavour to entice her to eat - so I tried that and she picked a bit at it but wasn't really interested so I was abit frantic with worry she wasn't eating - next day I had to put her in the hutch as I only had one carry case and had to take another bun to the vet ..... she went straight to the usual rabbit pellets which were in there for Mr Bingley and she started eating those right away - I could have keeled over!!
Depends on the bun really is what I suppose I;m trying to say :lol: He may start eating his pellets again straight away so have a bowl of them there as well as the syringe feeding just in case . With the hay I would try cutting it up into shorter strands so they are easier for him to pic up with his lips and eat rather than the longer strands. He'll soon pick it up.
Sometimes I forget Blakey's had her teeth out except when she does her 'hanging her mouth open looking goofy' thing which she got into a habit with as her teeth before they were removed stuck straight out and she couldn't close her mouth properly

Thanks everyone I was just a bit worried that there maybe another under lying reason hes not eatting! I do have pain relieve for the next two days. Someone suggested trying a muslie mix as he may have got to the stage that he had given up on his pellets so now won't touch them what do you think? hes on wagg optimum atm and thats what i've been using to styringe feed him i soak it and push it though a siv and mix in some critical care and hes on fiberplex. I've put some readi grass in too. As of yet the only thing i've found him to eat is apples hes not intrested in grass, dandy's or basil :? I don't know what his diets been up until now so it could be the case hes not used to may diffent things if you know what i mean. I feel a bit more relived now I wasn't sure what to expect after his op. Thanks again x

Back