• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OH disgusted at poo and wee

Candiflare

Mama Doe
My OH and I are constantly in a battle about where the buns can go in the house. They've done untold damage to the bedroom upstairs (nibbled all around the skirting boards, nibbled the ends off the futon and pulled all the stuffing out, stained the carpet with huge wee spots and sprayed urine up the white walls) some of it my OH knows about and some he doesn't.

Anyway tonight I covered the sofa in a waterproof cover and had Ralph and Ruby running about on it. Somehow, SOMEHOW Ralph managed to wee ALL over the actual sofa and the curtain rather than the waterproof cover and my OH has gone mental. The curtain's now in the washing machine and the sofa cushion is drying by the radiator. My OH is screaming that they can never come indoors again and ranting about WHY DOES HE TO HAVE SO MUCH S*** and P*** OVER HIS HOUSE ALL THE TIME?

We don't have an animal-infested house at all - there are some people whose whole houses are given over to animals, but my OH keeps it spick and span and is very much the housewife.

Should I get a new OH who lets the buns go to the toilet in his house or do you understand my OH's rage?

Might it perhaps be time to save your marriage and introduce your beloved buns to the joys of outdoor living??

I must admit pee all over the carpets and stuff would probably do me as well, are your wee chaps not litter trainned or do they just go when they feel like it? :shock:

Keep them outside. As much as you love them you have to understand it from his point of view, it is a little disgusting. You need other things in life apart from your pets. I know I sound crazy saying that don't I. :D

But it'll make your life happier. And now it's getting warmer you can go and spend time with them out there.

I wouldn't find a new OH, I mean, you paid good money for the couch, and the wee does damage is. I suggest investing in a steam cleaner, which we use all the time for Bentley weeing, or let them live outside.

This is why I have shed buns :lol: buns are quite messy & even when they are toilet trained they do have the odd accident.
My OH had an animal free upbringing with 2 house proud parents. I see that as a deprived childhood! I was brought up on a large busy family farm by non house proud parents.
Tom has the rather traditional & old fashioned idea that buns are out door pets. If at any point in the future we moved & were in a larger house I would still probably keep my buns as shed buns but might use a completely bunny proofed room to foster in.
I like all our different animals having their own areas as such, its safer & stress free.
I am actually quite house proud. Pee on the curtains & couch would do my head in :lol:
I think the earlier posters steam cleaner suggestion is a brilliant idea.

if you keep them inside, confine them to one room, and keep the rest the way he wants it. if you want him. if he's a general pain in the backside, sack him and keep the bunnies.

My boys are outside buns who come in to visit. When they come in I bring them in in their travel case, lined with hay. If they need to go to the toilet they hop back in there and use that as their toilet. :D (the only mess is from when when I drop the hay everywhere!!!)

I'd keep them outside. Then they could do everything like dig/chew in a natural environment, and you could reclaim your house. Summer is a good time of year to move them out too - the only time to do it, really. They might prefer it if it means more freedom. :wave: And your OH is not being at all unreasonable given the amount of damage you've described. :?

who did you have first?

if it was the bunnies sack him, if not give them a room and you go visit them instead of them coming out to play with you.

i would never totally give into a blokes demands because who knows what the next demand will be ;)

Ste has tried to hint at outside pets when we move but hes got nowhere with that and never will :lol::lol:

my OH was brought up in a pet free house proud house but i think its getting the balance right im kinda house proud so im cleaning up hay all the time harry is clean but use to pee over my bed before his plums disappered :lol: sorry havent really help but why dont you just do a pro and cons list to the rabbits indoors and outdoors or confine to one room??

My two since being bonded have lost their litter training and I don't know why.. luckily they are confined to one room.. and allowed to come and play with me on the sofa everynight.. they thankfully only poop and wee in their room.

Can you maybe confine them to the one room??

Is he weeing on things because the other male bunny's smells are on them? Although they are both neutered, they do chin everything and make their presence known in a room. He could just be responding to this. When you bring them into a room, do you always have a large litter tray in there at the same time?

With regards your partner, he obviously does not sound an animal lover and it will be hard for him. What about restricting them to only one room in the house

I agree that a compromise is the best thing (unless you find that you have other big reasons for not being together anymore) and either keep the buns to one room, where they can wreak havok without bothering him, or buy a lovely great chalet and build an attached run for them outside. If you can get electricity out there you'll be able to have a heater and a light, even a fan - it'd be a lovely place for you to hang out with the buns in. You could even shove an old armchair or something in there.

Like I said, don't give up on the relationship just yet unless their are other problems. He's entitled to a clean living space.

Dump him :lol::lol::lol: Only kidding (?)
I have house rabbits to stay with me. People bring their own litter trays ..................The buns act as if they have never seen it before and have no idea how to or why they should use it :(
I took my last sofa to the tip ( what was left of it :shock: ) Then buy a new one from ebay £20 well spent.....
I was convinced I had 'lost' a rabbit once......He'd eaten his way into the underside lining of the settee.
I only have them without legs now.....That's the settee NOT the rabbits :lol::lol:
Sorry, y'all but the 'C' word isn't for me :lol::lol::shock:
(that's c for compromise )

Back