• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you catch a rabbit??

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Lola will sit on my knee if I can catch her (Benson wont). Trouble is Lola has got wise to me opening cupboard doors for her to hop in, so I can take her out of the enclosed space, or in a corner etc!! She is always ready for me now and hops off before I can get a hold of her! I tend not to lift them but I think I should really be checking their butts more often.

Any useful hints on lifting bunnies who dont want to be lifted? How do you grab hold of the slippery wee creatures?? They don't bite so that's a bonus :lol:

I get the mint out and they come running. Honeys a hard one as shes only got partial sight in her remaining eye. I spend about 10mins strokeing her then go in for the lift as shes not suspecting it. Make sure I do it at different times of the day otherwise they all flee.

Flip! It stresses me out. I'm sure they know when I'm gonna try because I build myself up to it for ages before hand. They are such canny wee creatures - smart - they know you know!!

I stroke, I go in for the lift, they hop off, usually into a tunnel or under a box, in Lolas case. Benson hops just far enough away to note his disaproval and then comes straight back to me!!

Ok gonna try it again in the morning. Already getting all worked up just thinking about it!!:roll::shock:

I stick to carriers- i just say " in house" to them and they go in one by one. They sometimes mess me around but very rarely. I don't often handle my bunnys off the ground as this is what they prefer. My ones on meds i do and they are used to it, but my bigger bunnies i wouldn't have a chance lifting or holding. I have to get a towel and wrap them in it once i've got them in a carrier, it is a mission cutting nails and checking health sometimes lol :) Hope you have some better luck!

Stroke and then be quick and firm. I find a hand on the head stops them escaping. No faffing about just do it. They can smell your feeeeear!

Stroke and then be quick and firm. I find a hand on the head stops them escaping. No faffing about just do it. They can smell your feeeeear!

Okay. Okay, I can do this..... quick, firm, no faffing just do it!

The neighbourhood will be ringing with me psyching myself up in the morning as I shout "JUST DO IT!!" at myself in the mirror!! :shock:

I don't handle mine unless absolutely necessary either. The one you can even touch is moved by carrier all the time

I find (although not really with Pip cos he's too little and trusting at the moment) but my past ones its confident and quick with no faffing and making them feel secure straight away I usually doing it crouching down then when they are fully secure then stand up.

If they really go a bit mental then I cover their eyes with my arm if that makes sense, hope thats not a bad thing to do but it does help!

Okay. Okay, I can do this..... quick, firm, no faffing just do it!

The neighbourhood will be ringing with me psyching myself up in the morning as I shout "JUST DO IT!!" at myself in the mirror!! :shock:

Haha!! It's all about being gentle but firm. My vet can handle Nutmeg better than I can. I was amazed when she let him look at her teeth. It took me an hour this afternoon just to clip her claws.

Haha!! It's all about being gentle but firm. My vet can handle Nutmeg better than I can. I was amazed when she let him look at her teeth. It took me an hour this afternoon just to clip her claws.

Well I'd just like to give Lola a brush as she's moulting and feel underneath to make sure she's still clean - same with Benson. They don't like the feeling around the nether regions they don't. :oops:

Indeed they don't. Fortunately Nutmeg is just fluffy round her head, not her bum like Smudge. Don't think she'd let me brush out knots from her tum like I have to do with Smudge.

Indeed they don't. Fortunately Nutmeg is just fluffy round her head, not her bum like Smudge. Don't think she'd let me brush out knots from her tum like I have to do with Smudge.

Beautiful bunnies! Must try and get my two on a wee strip at the bottom of my threads - looks cool!

Back