• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your buns have hay that isnt in litter trays too.......

Becca24

Mama Doe
if so what do you use to put it in??

I have a hay rack at the moment, but I really dont like it, its not that big and the hay doesnt really stay in it properly :roll: if that makes sense! Today I have given him a tupperware container with his "clean hay" in but nnot sure if its good idea really as he may start on the plastic too. I know what I want, its like a willow basket but I cant seem to find one.

So just wondered what everyone else did?!?

Mine have hay in their top shelf...but also in their run I use a 'half moon' hanging basket hooked on the mesh with 2 hooks...hooks like this ... S :roll::lol:

ETA Not the wicker ones, mine is the metal ones so hay can poke through the gaps :D

oohh thats a good ideal!! :)

Do you use different hay for litter trays and the basket. ATM I put meadow in trays (he has 3 in my desperate attempt to litter train him) the he has a small sprinkle or timothy on top and then I was putting timothy in hay rack. So now he has the container with a mixture of oat and timothy in his run. Does this sound ok??

I use the half hanging baskets too but 3 out of my 4 jump into them and still use them as litter trays :roll: so I usually come home to a puddle underneath the baskets :roll:

Ours just have hay in their litter trays but we have 3 litter trays so they have one for each bunny bum and they get piled up with hay, then they have hay in a large bucket out in the run which they like to just sit in and munch away.

Mine have a hay rack in each hutch, various fresh piles of hay dotted around, and wicker or sea grass baskets in the play runs with hay in....but they eat most out of the litter trays :lol:

I know just what you mean! I keep thinking the same - my two happily sit and wee / poo and munch all at the same time but I keep thinking a hay rack would be a good idea as well lol.

I'm thinking about getting one of (( These )) to use in addition to their big storage box litter tray as otherwise Jack would jump in it and he couldn't with this. :)

You know them big baskets you get in chest freezers they have four of them in there garage with hay in them.

I know just what you mean! I keep thinking the same - my two happily sit and wee / poo and munch all at the same time but I keep thinking a hay rack would be a good idea as well lol.

I'm thinking about getting one of (( These )) to use in addition to their big storage box litter tray as otherwise Jack would jump in it and he couldn't with this. :)

Oooh - that looks nice - and they can sit on it too! Think I may have to invest in a couple.......

I use hay in ltter trays, but have wicker baskets which we put timothy hay in or other specailist hays , however we do get through alot of wicker baskets !:D

I tried putting hay in different places but he just ended up using them as a litter tray. Now I just put it in his litter tray and pop some fresh in a bowl each day, although I don't know why I bother as he just drags it into his litter tray to munch anyway! :lol::lol::lol:

Yep - I'm something similar. Timothy Hay in litter tray and one bowl in run and one in shed (spode bowl, don't you know!) Then they have bedding hay just strewen about the place as they like to lie in the middle of it and eat around themselves! They also have a bale of hay in the shed that they jump onto and munch! I also throw some hay to them wherever they are lying as a treat - they will usually start eating it if it lands in front of them!! :)

mine have megazorb in litter trays and i have you know hanging baskets? and you can get the half shape, D shape ones? well they have them attached to fronts of hutch, fresh hay in there :wave:

Oooh - that looks nice - and they can sit on it too! Think I may have to invest in a couple.......

I think I have seen these before (or ones of a similar design) and they seemed like they would hold less than one of my wire ones that fold out.

I also have a willow one for Harley from Hay Experts, and Jager and Fleury have a cardboard box filled with hay that they sit in, it's not a very tall box, maybe 3 inches high.

I think I have seen these before (or ones of a similar design) and they seemed like they would hold less than one of my wire ones that fold out.

I also have a willow one for Harley from Hay Experts, and Jager and Fleury have a cardboard box filled with hay that they sit in, it's not a very tall box, maybe 3 inches high.

Mine don't eat much out of a rack (preferring to eat the litter tray hay), but they'd love jumping up one one of these, plus my boys are dwarfs, so they can get away with smaller things :lol:

Thanks for the ideas! Sometimes I feel like there is just hay everywhere in every nook and cranny. I am a bit obsessed with keeping his hutch and run clean and tidy Pip tries to attack my brush now he hates me tidying but if there was a competition for the bun that pooped the most he would win paws down, cant believe so much can come out of such a little bunny!! :lol:

Thanks for the ideas! Sometimes I feel like there is just hay everywhere in every nook and cranny. I am a bit obsessed with keeping his hutch and run clean and tidy Pip tries to attack my brush now he hates me tidying but if there was a competition for the bun that pooped the most he would win paws down, cant believe so much can come out of such a little bunny!! :lol:

Any pictures of the little guy?? I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours!! :D

Back