• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Come on antibiotics!/U.D. Fail.

Gertie

Mama Doe
Robert gets another new one tomorrow, here's hoping this one works!
Robert's got hereditory teeth and jaw alignment issues, (he's two) and his xrays show he's likely to get worse. As such, he constantly gets eye infections, even when he's just been "dentalled". It really doesn't help that he is allergic to Fucithalmic, Tiacil and pain killer Metacam. We lost his sister with the same affliction. Last year I would estimate my bills for my bunnies would have been in excess of £2000. After his sister's last stay, her bill was over £900, just for those ten days. Luckily, my vet is a very determined lady and has discounted my bills a lot as she has fought for my guys. She has another patient from the same litter with the same issues.
He has been a regular up the vets in his short life having dentals and different treatments, so I'm hoping this one works a treat and good luck from some bunny lovers might help! :D I've been through that many treatments, I can't even remember what this one's called!

Last edited:
Ah poor little guy, sounds like he has a determined loving mummy as well as vet so fingers crossed he can come through it all.

Sending lots of vibes :love: I think a pic would help me send more .....:D

aww poor bun :( sending lots of vibes. he's lucky he's got you to take such good care of him!!! I agree with Jen, pics are essential!!

Thank you! Also, sorry! Here's Robert and his now wife, Gertie. He's the one in the front...

Grimlock is on depocillin injections for his eyes (very similar reasons) and that seems to work great. ;)

He has one every three days for a few weeks and it really clears it up well. Originally he went on it to clear an abscess in his jaw (also caused by his teeth issues) and we realised it had sorted out his eyes too. So next time they got really bad and the antibiotic drops didn't work we tried it again and they've almost cleared up since the 18th April.

Good luck. :wave:

:love::love::love::love::love: aw look at those faces!! could they look more proud!!

Lots more vibes coming your way little man, really hope the new treatment works out x

:love::love: Robert is just like my Cass! they look very happy and loved up :) good luck!!!

Last edited:
I've called the vet and requested more Chloramphenicol (the last ones he was on) as it turns out the new ones have benzalkonium chloride in, which is also in fucithalmic and I'm now pretty certain this is what he's allergic too. His eye was very red after only one application. :(
He was on an ointment of Chloramphenicol, I have requested the drops this time. Hopefully they'll get further into the eye and eliminate what's going on. They worked before, so here's hoping they work again and better this time!

Edit: Thank you for your thoughts too! :D

Jenova said:
Grimlock is on depocillin injections for his eyes (very similar reasons) and that seems to work great.

He has one every three days for a few weeks and it really clears it up well. Originally he went on it to clear an abscess in his jaw (also caused by his teeth issues) and we realised it had sorted out his eyes too. So next time they got really bad and the antibiotic drops didn't work we tried it again and they've almost cleared up since the 18th April.

Good luck.

And thank you for this. I have had injectable antibiotics before and we're both fully confident in doing this to our buns, so if this doesn't do the trick, I shall be asking my vet about this one!

Last edited:
Back