• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dutchie wildie!

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
I walked to work today, the short, nice road to work has been closed for weeks due to a bridge being moved, it is now open again and I see lots of wildlife on this route.

When coming home at lunchtime I thought I saw a white and brown bunny at the side of the road, it hopped into the dry stone wall as I got near. I did think it was my eyes playing tricks, but on the way back to work a 4 it was there again. It is an agouti dutch, which makes me think it must be a wildie cross. It is a youngster, and was with a 'normal' wildie, so I hope it is OK and survives, I see lots of black ones here but have never seen one with white. I will keep and eye open and try to confirm it is one too.

:shock: You seem to get all the fun:lol: How would you go about catching it without getting a wildie instead? Could it be tamed:?

:shock: You seem to get all the fun:lol: How would you go about catching it without getting a wildie instead? Could it be tamed:?

I think if it's been born as a wild bun, it wouldn't be fair to try and tame it. I don't get how people can just 'set free' their pets when they're tired of them though. You know Sims 2? They have an option to do that which I think's sooo irresponsible. What's that teaching the kids that play it?!

Sorry, going off on a bit of a tangent there... :oops:

my bun escaped got preganant (we thougth it was a boy:oops:) and now we have three week old wildie cross's they are really tame and dont struggle nip or anything!I would never dream of letting them free! they have grown up fast tho because they have already come out of the nest and are trying to eat some of mums food!

I think if it's been born as a wild bun, it wouldn't be fair to try and tame it. I don't get how people can just 'set free' their pets when they're tired of them though. You know Sims 2? They have an option to do that which I think's sooo irresponsible. What's that teaching the kids that play it?!

Sorry, going off on a bit of a tangent there... :oops:

I don't really do computer games:oops: But THAT is sick:evil: I get so used to reading stuff on here, from sane animal lovers, that when I talk to people *in the real world*, I just feel completely alone and like I am the insane one:(

So what would happen to the bun? Would it be able to live in the wild?

I think it is probably a wildie, its just a shame it has white on it because it will be more visable to predators, I doubt I'd be able to catch it and as it is a young but well grown bun I wouldn't try unless it appears to be obviously tame.

Aww, I love baby wildies - and there are so many up here just now!

Where I work, we have a massive fence around the site, to keep 'pests' out (i.e. wildlife:evil:) but bunnies can get through it, so there are quite a few wildies with white patches on them hopping around. I think they survive better on the site as there are very few predators around.

I fully agree about leaving the bun where it is in the wild. It's obviously been accepted by the wild buns.
I was surprised that even the natural varient of black wildies, are very poorly camouflaged at dusk in comparison to agouti.
Pity it's too late in the year to tease folk that you've seen a dwarf mountain hare!

Theres a dutch wildie up here, lives in the field next to the railway tracks, i see it all the time :D

Back