• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toilet roll tubes?

samantha m

Warren Scout
Hiya
I was reading on Little angels rescue site, and it says that toilet roll tubes are a good toy to give them, either with food in or just the tube, but is it safe for them to actually eat the cardboard, like the whole thing? at first I assumed it wouldnt be good for them, but then reading it I got confused.
Thanks for any help :)

i give mine kitchen roll tubes (Long ones) usually stuffed with hay to encourage hay eating.
But i gave george an empty one, and he has eaten some of it... well so i think he has.

I hope its not too bad for him :( i think aslong as they dont eat a whole one! they should be ok.

I was also wondering the same thing, as i am not here all the time and i wanted my bun's to have some entertainment that doesnt cost alot, however she eats anything and that will surely include cardboard, i didnt want to test it incase it did harm her, so for me too any help would be appreciated:D

I stuff hay/pellets/veg in the small toilet rolls and then bend over the sides so they have to nibble it to get the food out. They normally end up chewing the whole thing and have been ok with it :)

i give cardboard box's and rolls stuffed with hay and i think they eat them but they have always been fine. :D

sebastian eats them :roll: it doesnt cause him any problems, and i find if i stuff with hay, he tends to leave the cardboard alone

My buns eat cardboard box's, tubes and paper bags. I have never found a problem with it. They are busy ripping a Schuh bag up as I type:)

The only thing I do is take any plastic tape off and not give them plastic coated boxes.

As long as the poos are well formed I wouldn't worry, after all it is just pulped wood. Allot of buns are kept on newspaper after all.

But then I guess some other people don't let their buns eat them:? Maybe if they have sensitive tums or eat too much of it..

Thank you for your replies :)
Its just Digit will eat anything lol, so wanted to make sure it was ok before I gave it to him :)

I just made a toilet tube toy buy putting loads on a string. Off to fill with hay now, hope they appreciate it! :lol: :lol:

I just made a toilet tube toy buy putting loads on a string. Off to fill with hay now, hope they appreciate it! :lol: :lol:

Just a quick thought. What sort of string is it as a bun may not be able to digest it and it could cause a blockage which your bun may not be able to pass.

The hay sounds like a great idea though:)

Back