• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emily spayed today - she has a tumour

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Emily and Gremlin went in for spaying today. Gremin was fine despite her breathing difficulties, but Emily had a tumour in her uterus. The vet said it wasn't very large, and doesn't think it has spread to her lungs.

I was asked if I wanted it sent off for pathology, but I didn't bother because presumably it would be untreatable if it has spread anyway?

Anyone got any advice on what I can do for her?

I'm sorry to hear about Emily :( The bunnies we have had with uterine cancer have never had it spread to their lungs, it has generally been the liver and stomach and on one occassion the brain :(

But thats not much help to you, sorry

I have had a few Does who were found to have a uterine cancer when they were spayed. Only one, Meg, did eventually succumb to metastastic lung cancer and she passed away 11 months after her spay. Meg was an Ex Breeding Doe and was aged about 5 when she died :cry:

Lara had a Uterine Tumour when she was spayed. That was about 7 years ago and Lara is still with us :) She too is an Ex Breeding Doe and she was only 2 when spayed.

I really hope that Emily's cancer was contained in her uterus and has now been fully removed

No advice, my only experience of cancer in rabbits has been liver cancer. I just wanted to pass on some vibes.

FC x

Cheers guys :wave:

I have no idea how old Emily is, or anything about her background. She was handed into rescue by her original owner, and came to me when she got a nasty eye injury which became infected.

I wish I'd got her spayed as soon as her eye healed, but I wanted her to lose some weight first...wish I hadn't waited now :(

You weren't to know and have probably done the right thing by waiting anyway if she had issues that made the GA more of a risk. Hopefully it has all been removed. Fingers crossed :)

Back