• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baytril nightmare

pennypoos

Mama Doe
Do rabbits not like the taste of baytril ? Iv been giving it to penny for the last week now for a water infection, and she hates it. Iv just tried giving her, her daily dose and she has managed to wriggle free. She loves the taste of metacam and takes that no probs, but baytrill........... pfffff.
Im going to leave her for a little while to calm down and try her again soon. :?

Yep - I don't think they like the taste at all - sorry!

Good luck with getting your bun to take it. Maybe offer a favourite treat immediately after so they learn that something nice follows the yucky stuff?

Yes, while metacam is honey flavoured, sadly baytril is very bitter - I have a vague feeling it's something daft like liver flavoured as although it's licenced for rabbits it is also used in other species.

You could try mixing it with a little bit of pineapple or apple juice or ribena, or try disguising it in other ways like dripping it onto a slice of apple or bread and letting it soak in, I have also added it to a few warmed porridge oats or put literally a couple of drips onto a pellet and hand fed loads of pellets that way until it's all gone.

Good luck!

Apparently it tastes really bitter, i was told to draw up some ribena first then the baytril to sweeten it a bit, which in practice is fine if you are really competent at syringing (i'm not :lol:) otherwise it's just more liquid to try and get in their mouth.

I used the bunny burrito method with Joe, also popping him head first into the corner and kneeling behind him so he couldn't really get away - this felt mean but he had to have his medicine - and I tried to get as much in as i could and if there was a bit left over i squirted it on his paws as they instinctively lick them straight away to wash off the sticky. Then i'd give him a yoghurt drop and a big fuss and kisses to try and train him into thinking something nice followed Baytril but he wasn't having any of that! :roll::lol:

rosie is on baytril twice a day, although she doesn't like it, she doesn't really hate it either :lol: if that makes any sense, she just tolerates it

I just put it on Marnies dinner. They get separated for food anyway so I just waited till she had finished. Nice and easy with no stress at all :D

Thanks for the tips, i`m going to put some drops onto a few shreddies and see if i can get her to take it that way. I feel a bit dumb, its comon sence realy, i don`t know why i didn`t think of that in the first place. :roll::oops::lol:

they all hate it! A good sweet tablespoon of mushy pear (grated to mush) will disguise the flavour though!!

iv just tried mixing a bit with ribena, and also putting a bit on a shreddie, and she will not take it. Im going to buy a pear and some pineapple juice in the morning, and see if i can get her to take it that way. Iv left her for now, she seems a bit stressed and is sat under the dining room table sulking.

Back