• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!! I trod on Leo :-( U/D post 19

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
I trod on Leo last night at bed time. It was his front paw. He didn't make a sound so I didn't realise I was on him until I heard a scuffling sound and saw him running on the spot, then I realised he couldn't run away because I was treading on his foot

after inspecting him he seemed fine, couldn't see any damage and he was running around like a loon

this morning however I wake up to find drops of blood that weren't there before! One of his claws on said foot covered in blood (but no longer bleeding) and feels like it's no longer attached but too scared to touch it incase it falls off!!!!

He is himself and doesn't seem to notice, still running around and being perky

please help what should I do? Shall i pull it off?

Last edited:
is he walking on the paw?
It may come off on its own, but it could get caught on something which could make it worse.

i would get him checked out by the vet.

if your able to, have a closer look and see if its still attached,

Can you pick him up and take a closer look? He may have broken a toe as well as torn the nail from the nail bed.... this is all I am worried about. I would pop him to the vet if you can at somepoint today. :)

Last edited:
is he walking on the paw?
It may come off on its own, but it could get caught on something which could make it worse.

i would get him checked out by the vet.

if your able to, have a closer look and see if its still attached,

He's walking and binkying fine. It's the lose nail and blood that scares me

I'm at work so had to leave him but it's really playing on my mind, like I should of taken him to the vets or stayed with him but I can't chance it with work (another story)

I get home 5.30-6

my partner around 4

I will get him to call asap

what if I broke his foot?? I didn't even think of that :-(

stressed

Can you pick him up and take a closer look? He may have broken a toe as well as torn the nail from the nail bed.... this is all I am worried about. I would pop him to the vet if you can at somepoint today. :)

Called vets. They say he should be okay if eating etc but to take him in to be safe. May need claw removing :-(

I can't believe I trod on him i'm in bits

will update when we see the vet

fingers crossed

It's easily done, especially when they're so tiny. You didn't mean to do it but I can imagine how you're feeling :( I almost trod on Inca the other day. She had sneaked up behind me and I didn't know, luckily only the side of my foot caught her and along the length of her body. She gently "surfed" sideways across the tiled kitchen floor :shock::| . She appeared completely unfazed by it and hopped back for a nose rub :)

I'm forever accidentally treading on my two...or scooting them across the kitchen floor :roll:
What you have to remember is that they don't think that you did it on purpose....Marnie ripped her claw a few weeks ago, I just trimmed it as short as I could so she didn't catch it on anything more.

My tilly ripped her nail out once (not sure how!) it was bleeding loads and the nail was ha ging off, i was mortified. Later in the day the nail just fell off ( i found it on the floor eeeew) i bathed her foot and she was fine, as though nothing had happened! So lets hope u just trod on his nail snd he yanked it out trying to pull away, ic hes walking on it ok theres a good chance its not broken :D

please dont blame yourself, they do have a habit of getting under your feet :roll: Once i went to the loo in the night and on my way back through the lounge in the dark i kicked timmy, then just as i reached my bed i kicked him again! So he must have followed me despite the first kick :lol: Now i walk extra extra slowly and cautiously to the loo when its dark!!

X

Just so you don't feel quite so bad....when I was doing work experiance at a vets, this Erm...rather large lady :oops: came in in floods of tears...she'd sat on her Great Dane puppy and it's leg was a mess.
7 hours later the vet had managed to put pup back together...and she came to pick him up 2 days later with a massive box of choccies and a bunch of flowers.
When I spoke to the vet again about a year or so on, he told me that the lady had been back with the dane (now no longer a pup) and she has lost nearly 10 stone :shock:
Accidents happen.....all you can do is try not to let them happen again.

Any news from the vets yet?

try not to worry to much as you read already it happens to the best of us, i always triping or knocking harry with my foot, he just carries on hopping about they are all lil stealth buns

Hope the vet visit went well, try not to worry too much. Lily and Charlie are forever dancing around my feet looking for a treat- the amount of times I have accidentally walked into them (or they have run into me!) when I am walking about the flat..

Sorry for such a late update

The vet visit went well, it only took about a minute for her to check him over and give us the all clear. He had broken his nail but only to the vain and it had healed up. It hadn't fallen out and doesn't need removing!

He has no broken toes or anything either.

Vet said no charge, they are really good, I only ever get charged for drugs

Really relieved everything is going to be okay :wave:

Just want to say I know exactly how guilt-ridden it feels when you accidentally injure them.

A couple of years ago I dropped Mini and her hip dislocated (to be fair she was a struggle bun back then) and today I stepped on Nutmeg. My foot was right on her back but fortunately in a split second I realised she was there and managed to move my foot before all my weight went down. I was convinced I'd hurt her but she was fine. A little bit in shock for a while but I gave her a couple of pellets and fresh hay and got her eating and she's ok thankfully.

Last edited:
Back