• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild baby bunny.Baby and the wild duck post 120

Maizey

Wise Old Thumper
My friend got given some baby wildies,that his friends cat had bought in.My friend started to hand rear them but his cat who has a litter of kittens had other ideas and she took them into her box of kittens and has been rearing them and my friend has also been giving them goats milk.Over the last couple of days mummy cat has been moving the kits to empty rabbit hole and has still been going to feed them.There was one baby left which is the runt of the litter,I have now bought her/him home and am bottle feeding goats milk and avro plus.I have ordered some cimicat but don't know whether to keep feeding the goats milk or change to the cimicat,I don't want to upset babies tum.Does anyone have any suggestions?The baby has her eyes open and is nibbling on a few blades of grass

Last edited:
I would stick to what you've been using, don't swap. Goats milk is fine :)

From your description, it sounds like baby is at least a couple of weeks old...which is really good news regards hand-rearing.

If baby is starting to eat solids, then I bet goats milk will be nutritious enough for him/her

Good luck! :)

Thank you both for your advice.I have never seen such a tiny bunny,fingers crossed the little one will make it.I have fallen in love already :love::love::love::love:

Awwww :love::love::love: Good luck with the little one.
I suppose a name is difficult at this stage. Have you any ideas? Are you going to post a photo please?

Everything crossed for the little baby.

[/B]
My friend got given some baby wildies,that his friends cat had bought in.My friend started to hand rear them but his cat who has a litter of kittens had other ideas and she took them into her box of kittens and has been rearing them and my friend has also been giving them goats milk.Over the last couple of days mummy cat has been moving the kits to empty rabbit hole and has still been going to feed them.There was one baby left which is the runt of the litter,I have now bought her/him home and am bottle feeding goats milk and avro plus.I have ordered some cimicat but don't know whether to keep feeding the goats milk or change to the cimicat,I don't want to upset babies tum.Does anyone have any suggestions?The baby has her eyes open and is nibbling on a few blades of grass

What a nice cat!!

Awwww :love::love::love: Good luck with the little one.
I suppose a name is difficult at this stage. Have you any ideas? Are you going to post a photo please?

Everything crossed for the little baby.

Thank you Judy,
I dont have a name yet.Little bun has had a run around the living room tonight,which she/he has loved and,I will call her she,has a nibble on some grass.Im managing to get about 20ml of milk into her a day which Im doing little and often as she is so tiny,guess Im to used to contis!!!!
I will try and get some piccies tomorrow.Fingers crossed my little wildy will make it

oh what a lovely story with the cat...:love:
what are you going to do when the buns emerge from the hole? just leave them to live as they please or try to tame them?

aww that story sounds like a disney film :love::love: good luck with your baby bun it sounds like you're doing great :)

oh what a lovely story with the cat...:love:
what are you going to do when the buns emerge from the hole? just leave them to live as they please or try to tame them?

We dont know where the hole is,my friend watches her trot up the side of the field.The buns will be wild when they leave the nest so hopefully be Ok:love::love::love::love:

aww that story sounds like a disney film :love::love: good luck with your baby bun it sounds like you're doing great :)

Thank you,I wouldnt have believed it unless I had seen it with my own eyes.The cat was hand reared and she has mothered quite a lot of babies that werent her own.I got told she tried to rear some baby chickens:shock::shock:

I thought this story was lovely, and then J brought up the point that if the baby wildies have been reared by a cat then there is the danger they won't be frightened of cats which could cause problems later on :?

Some pictures of baby

BILD0293.jpg

BILD0299.jpg

BILD0300.jpg

I thought this story was lovely, and then J brought up the point that if the baby wildies have been reared by a cat then there is the danger they won't be frightened of cats which could cause problems later on :?

I let my friend whoes cat reared them live on my farm and there arent any houses that close by,so hopefully the baby wildies will be ok.At least they have a good chance of survival,fingers crossed.

Back