• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

foot absess- very worried, please advise

carolinej

Young Bun
yesterday my rabbit Ben was diagnosed with a foot absess. today he is having it surgically removed. my husband has just taken him back to the vet. she said that there is only a 50% chance of him recovering from this as it can get reinfected and spread to the bone. i am worried sick. has anyone had experiences of this? what can i expect? when will i know if the op has been succesful? any advice will be greatly appreciated. thankyouhttp://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

I am sorry i cannot help but i hope your bun is ok, sending lots of positive vibes. I am sure someone will be along soon who can help.

Sue
xxx

Sending healing vibes to Ben. I know abscesses are serious in rabbits so the vet is right to be guarded about his prognosis, however if it helps, my Joejoe had an abscess behind his eye which was inoperable, they could only treat it with depocillin injections and baytril and i was warned that his chances were not good, it was a long slog with a lot of worry but he's fine now so abscesses don't have to mean the end for buns these days.

The not having spread to the bone is the main thing i think, if they can catch it before then, then it's a bit easier to treat. They shuld be able to tell you straight after the op if it has spread or not. Are they talking in terms of follow up treatment of depocillin injections? Joe was on on baytril daily, and depocillin once a week.

Thinking of you and ben, let us know how he gets on x

Foot abcesses are nasty things :( Your poor bunny. Generally with abcesses, if they can be safely removed, doing so alongside aggressive antibiotic treatment both systemically and often in the wound area itself is thought to give bun the best chance of fighting the infection.
The problem with the feet are that there is very little tissue between the sole of the foot and the bones and tendons of the feet, and so any infection does not have very far to travel to invade the bones of the feet causing bone infection - osteomyelitis, which is extremely painful and very difficult to treat.

When your bun comes round from his surgery he will need you to keep the wound clean (some people find packing the wound with manuka honey of a high UMF very helpful, or your vet may pack it with antibiotic beads/dressings etc) and you may need to flush it daily/several times a day to keep it clear. Rabbit pus is very difficult to remove as it can be so thick. You will need to wait and see what your vet advises. I expect being the foot you will you need to keep the wound dressed and bandaged to keep the wound from being reinfected from the environment/bedding/soil etc. and so that bun can move around.

I should think that a course of strong antibiotics - something like depocillin/penicllin - injectable alongside the standard baytril might be the sort of thing your vet will suggest. Abcesses do need aggressive antibiotic therapy normally. Ongoing pain relief will be essential, so daily metacam/meloxicam at home - hopefully your vet will discuss all this with you when pick your bunny up. Sadly abcesses do have a habit of reoccuring but with lots of treatment i'm sure you can get your bun on top of it all. Good luck. :)

ben is back from the vets. absess removed-although it wasnt a typical type apparently. he was syringe fed all afternoon but i think i have just caught him have a nibble of some greens. he has antibiotics and painkillers to take twice a day. i have kept him and his lady-bun inside tonight (i had to go and buy an emergency indoor cage as they are usually outside in a big hutch/run combo). really hoping things start getting better from here.

thankyou. not sure what breed he is. he was a rescue bunny. small with straight ears but bigger than a netherland dwarf. i know i wont sleep tonight worrying about him. i am quite sure i saw him eat something but now i am doubting myself!!

Vibes for your wee bunster xx

Just wanted to add that i have had great results with Manuka Honey on an abscess. I used it on my angel bunnies face abscess and ive recently used it on my Incas foot, she had a cut and infection inbetween her toes and it cleared it up great.

Back