• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outraged, upset......

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
Just got back from my mums house and put my hand into the buns pen to get their bowl out to put some nommy treats in there and Winter flew across the pen and sunk her teeth into my hand to the extent that when I pulled away, she was still attached!! I am bleeding.... she then ran after Rimmi (her tail was up in the air) and was chasing him all about the place trying to nom him too..... I had to grab him out, he lost lots of fur and now hes outside of the pen and shes inside and shes still trying to bite him through the bars.... not only am I awfully upset that she got me, I am devistated shes going at Rimmi, I am in school the next few days and weeks.... I cant supervise them, what the hell am I meant to do???? :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Does your mum have any pets? Could you smell of another rabbit? She may just be feeling under threat from a sudden intrusion into their territory especially if your scent is all wrong... and then moves to referred aggression on to Rimmi?

I would pop him back in supervised and keep a very close watch, she may have got whatever it was out of her system. Wash your hands and change your clothes first just in case. If not, you might need to do some bonding boosting in a neutral territory. Hopefully, it will all have passed by now :)

I wasnt at my mums long enough to smell any different, I literally popped in to get the SATNAV and my bunny lives outside, I didnt see her and the dog was out for a walk..... shes hopping around with her tail up charging at the bars when Rimmi is near them, I am too scared to put him back in :(

Sounds like something you smell of upset her and then she referred to Rimmi. I'd shower and change then stick both buns in a crate/cage/pen somewhere away from their usual base with a clean blanket or plastic floor and nothing but a pile of hay. Essentially like a rebonding. Hopefully with no smells and nothing to distract them they'll settle back together again.
Might have to sleep beside them overnight though. Hope they're ok, and you are too!

oh noooooo :cry::cry::cry:

have you got anywhere neutral you can re-introduce them tomorrow?

wonder whats got into her? :?

Sounds like something you smell of upset her and then she referred to Rimmi. I'd shower and change then stick both buns in a crate/cage/pen somewhere away from their usual base with a clean blanket or plastic floor and nothing but a pile of hay. Essentially like a rebonding. Hopefully with no smells and nothing to distract them they'll settle back together again.
Might have to sleep beside them overnight though. Hope they're ok, and you are too!

I have SCHOOL in the morning....... as in school placement, why do they have to pick now?? I wanted to be asleep by now.

I am in a foul mood now. FOUL.

If her tail is still up I would definitely do this in the neutral territory, rather than back in their usual place as I suggested earlier. Or, can you put him somehow side by side with her but separated with a gap between the wire (cross buns bite through wire and can do nasty damage) and then do the neutral rebonding when you have time.

:cry: she doesnt hate you - she sounds hormonal - has she been ok today? maybe shes ill?

poor you xxx

Well, I know health wise, there is nothing wrong with her.... fact, we went to the vets only last week and they were thoroughly checked, temp, weight, teeth, everything...... nothing has changed.

Im too scared to do anything with the pen so I guess she is going to get to stay there tonight, I am tooo scared to put my hand in to get the water bowl or anything for Rimmi so hes going to have a very boring enclosure indeed, I dont have many NIC cubes so it wont be big either. He obviously wants to get back to her.... he keeps going to the bars and then she charges at him which scares him away.

:(

As much as I love her, there is no way I can keep both of them apart forever. What am I going to do if they dont bond???

:cry: she doesnt hate you - she sounds hormonal - has she been ok today? maybe shes ill?

poor you xxx

They've been fine, great actually, enjoyed freeranging, attacked dinner as usual, had cuddles etc etc, I was only gone like an hour and a half, I havent touched anything.......:cry::cry:

Don't think that way yet. Give her overnight to cool off. If you can keep them out of eyesight until she chills out, even for just an hour or two, that may help. Keeping them nearby when she is still charging at him doesnt help as she's just maintaining the aggressive emotion and he'll get scared of her.
Wear gloves or something so you can handle them confidently and not perpetuate the aggression towards you. If they're not settled tomorrow i'm sure somone experienced on here will rebond them for you. Go have a cup of tea and calm down so you can think clearly.

Well, without meaning to sound harsh, they havent fought - she chased him and pulled fur, Jelly does this quite often, i personally think if you keep them seperate and then you will have to rebond, im sure if you put them back together now they will be fine. What she has done to Rimmi isnt "that bad", if she hadnt bit you, she would have just fur pulled and chased which i wouldnt recommend splitting a pair up for...if that makes sense?

You have to take out what she did to you, because that doesnt affect your bond. Jelly bites me all the time, its her personality, she flies off on one every now and again, but isnt her fault, its just how she is.

Shes probably now getting into a stress because she cant see him and she cant carry on chasing him, to sort "it out".

I would personally put them both back in together, stroking them both to calm them down, take out any toys that could aggrevate anything and see how they are.

I really dont think its nessacery to split them and then rebond them.

Don't think that way yet. Give her overnight to cool off. If you can keep them out of eyesight until she chills out, even for just an hour or two, that may help. Keeping them nearby when she is still charging at him doesnt help as she's just maintaining the aggressive emotion and he'll get scared of her.
Wear gloves or something so you can handle them confidently and not perpetuate the aggression towards you. If they're not settled tomorrow i'm sure somone experienced on here will rebond them for you. Go have a cup of tea and calm down so you can think clearly.

:thumb: good advice, stay calm - easier said than done when youve had your hand knawed at... these bunnies really know how to stress us dont they...:(
nightmare xx

Well, without meaning to sound harsh, they havent fought - she chased him and pulled fur, Jelly does this quite often, i personally think if you keep them seperate and then you will have to rebond, im sure if you put them back together now they will be fine. What she has done to Rimmi isnt "that bad", if she hadnt bit you, she would have just fur pulled and chased which i wouldnt recommend splitting a pair up for...if that makes sense?

You have to take out what she did to you, because that doesnt affect your bond. Jelly bites me all the time, its her personality, she flies off on one every now and again, but isnt her fault, its just how she is.

Shes probably now getting into a stress because she cant see him and she cant carry on chasing him, to sort "it out".

I would personally put them both back in together, stroking them both to calm them down, take out any toys that could aggrevate anything and see how they are.

I really dont think its nessacery to split them and then rebond them.

Even though she is growling and charging at him through the bars?? I dont want to risk serious injury.... I know the difference between fur pulling and wanting to have a proper scrap.......

Even though she is growling and charging at him through the bars?? I dont want to risk serious injury.... I know the difference between fur pulling and wanting to have a proper scrap.......

If shes charging at him through the bars, still with her tail up, theres no way id put them back into the same pen they were in previously :?

Have you got an indoor cage you could try them in, just for tonight? At least it would be small, meaning less chance of a fight, and Winter cant claim it as hers because they'd be no smells.

Wonder what started her off :? Hope they go back together ok xXx

Shes doing it because she can see him, maybe take him out of sight for half an hour or so, and then put them back together. Jelly gets like this sometimes when i take food bowls out, shes SO obsessed with food she gets really angry at Pebbles sometimes. If i took Pebbles out where she could see her she would 100% get worse because the annoyance to her is still there, but its worse cus she cant get to her. I take pebbles off give her a quick cuddle out of sight, 5-10 minutes later i put her back, she gives her a quick "dart" as i call it, and then its forgotten.

I know its not nice when they bite you, but just try to put that aside if you can.

I see SJ's point, but i dont think you're feeling calm or confident enough and its really terrifying intervening in a rabbit fight and its 11pm so if they injure eachother its going to be an emergency vet visit. It wont do them any harm to be apart over night - if they're going to bond back together they will in the morning as well as they will now, if not better once they've calmed down and missed each other.
Fur pulling and chasing and biting as a general habit is different to a rabbit who is normally placid and friendly suddenly having a rage. dont do anything you dont feel comfortable and confident doing. Its better to have them safe and apart than risk injury.

Do whatever you would feel comfortable with, You know your own rabbits, i know how to dea with mine when they do similar things but each pairing is different, etc etc, so it could have different results. I just wanted to sort of, try to say without sounding patronising because i know it will and not what i mean...seperate what she did to you, from what she did to him, if that makes sense.

Try not to be angry at her, they dont understand. :)

You poor thing, what a horrible experience :cry:

I would go for a shower now and completely change your clothes before going back to them. There's obviously something that's upset her so even if you don't think you have touched anything, she's more than likely become upset at some smell that you've brought back into the house. Their noses are sooo much more sensitive than ours that it could be from something really trivial.

I tend towards SJ's advice though - I wouldn't put them back in the same pen but would take her away for a short while to calm down (after you've showered and changed) and then try them in a small neutral space. Once whatever smell has upset her has gone, she may well calm down again quite quickly. Obviously if she doesn't then you may need to think about a complete neutral territory rebond but hopefully it will all be forgiven and forgotten fairly quickly.

Back