• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having a bit of a panic - eye problems? Pics added

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I think the stress of the last two days and of tomorrow are getting to me, and I can't think straight :oops:

Something has happened to Larry's eyes really quickly and I can't for the life of me work out whats going on :?

He was fine at 8pm according to Steve, when he carried him back up to his crate, but I checked in on him at 9 with his treat and both eyes are bulging from his head. Not really badly, I have seen worse, but easy enough to notice. His third eyelids are half way up his eyes and his eyes and third eye lid are completely bloodshot :?

If it was one eye i would say he had knocked it badly, but its both. And it has happened so quickly. It also seems very painful for him :(

Checking again just now it is no worse but he was dry sneezing, not sure if this related :?

I am panicking a bit as I just can't work out what has happened within an hour and on both sides?

Last edited:
A sudden build up of pressure from fluid or a mass within the skull? A bleed or a raised ICP from something else? Lungs?
Do hope he's ok. xx

You must be exhausted Liz!

Sorry if my post above sounds terribly grave - it's just the first thing that popped into my head. Fingers crossed it's nothing so serious at all. x

as above really - something causing high intracranial pressure, or very raised blood pressure
is he otherwise well? hydrated, not panting etc?

Sorry if my post above sounds terribly grave - it's just the first thing that popped into my head. Fingers crossed it's nothing so serious at all. x

Don't worry you are thinking along the same lines as me, which I think is why i am panicking.

It has to be something pushing from the inside, doesn't it, thats the only thing that makes sense :?

Its strange you should say lungs, I have been convinced he has had strange breathing episodes for months. the vets think i am crazy and I have sent him for x-rays and bloods and general observation at the vets and everything has always come back perfect and made me look really paranoid :(

as above really - something causing high intracranial pressure, or very raised blood pressure
is he otherwise well? hydrated, not panting etc?

He's eating and pooing but isn't moving about much, but then he normally just sleeps on his shelf once he is back in his crate.

Don't worry you are thinking along the same lines as me, which I think is why i am panicking.

It has to be something pushing from the inside, doesn't it, thats the only thing that makes sense :?

Its strange you should say lungs, I have been convinced he has had strange breathing episodes for months. the vets think i am crazy and I have sent him for x-rays and bloods and general observation at the vets and everything has always come back perfect and made me look really paranoid :(

I remember an article in the RWAF by Romain Pizzi I think where they assessed a bun with a bulging eye and it turned out to be raised ICP from something in the lungs... I can't for the life of me remember what. But I don't think the onset was so sudden :?

Sudden onset raised ICP would suggest a bleed to me but if it has stopped it may well reabsorb... perhaps he's had a little vascular episode?

So sorry Liz, I do hope he's going to be ok. You really are having such an awful time at the minute. So sorry :cry: x

Here we go, both sides are the same and the whites surrounding the eye are also completely red :(

P5040130.jpg

P5040131.jpg

It doesnt look so dramatic to be an emergency. If its both eyes its not inside his eye, must be in his head or raised pressure systemically. Can you feel his pulse in his thigh? is it really banging? If he's pooing and mooching then it cant be a massive brain bleed or anything, and his breathing cant be too affected if there are no signs there.
I dont know what else to suggest, other than vets 1st thing tomorrow! :?

It doesnt look so dramatic to be an emergency. If its both eyes its not inside his eye, must be in his head or raised pressure systemically. Can you feel his pulse in his thigh? is it really banging? If he's pooing and mooching then it cant be a massive brain bleed or anything, and his breathing cant be too affected if there are no signs there.
I dont know what else to suggest, other than vets 1st thing tomorrow! :?

I agree, I have definately seen worse but I was shocked to see it at all when he had been downstairs with us an hour earlier.

Dave has a consult at 8am so we shall be sneaking Larry in too. I have given him extra pain relief tonight. He already has low dose daily pain relief for his neck problems. Hopefully he will be Ok until the morning :)

It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. It could be one of a few things... I agree that there's probably not much an emergency vet could do. If it's just raised BP then there shouldn't be too much pain, ICP is extremely painful but you have given him pain relief so there's not much else to do tonight. I have my fingers crossed he looks a bit better in the morning, and if not, that your vet tomorrow can get to the bottom of it. Many things could account for a raised BP, less so for a raised ICP. I hope it is the former really. Good luck with it all. x

It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. It could be one of a few things... I agree that there's probably not much an emergency vet could do. If it's just raised BP then there shouldn't be too much pain, ICP is extremely painful but you have given him pain relief so there's not much else to do tonight. I have my fingers crossed he looks a bit better in the morning, and if not, that your vet tomorrow can get to the bottom of it. Many things could account for a raised BP, less so for a raised ICP. I hope it is the former really. Good luck with it all. x

Thanks :wave: Yea I said in the OP the bulging wasn't really bad, it was more the colour of them that shocked me, which doesn;t show up as good in the photos as it did in reality. He was also in a lot of pain I couldn't even touch his head :(

Thankfully this morning the bulging has completely gone and the redness has died down a little. Last night I checked his pulse and if anything it seemed a little slower than normal, definately no racing.

He is at the vets now for a check up :)

This is what they look like today - much better and no pain at all. But it concerns me more than it happened so quickly and has gone away so quickly, thats not normal :? But obviously the vet doesn't seemed bothered :(

P5050132.jpg

P5050133.jpg

Back