• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scruffy fur

Jess1

Young Bun
I wonder if anyone can offer some suggestions on how to help our rather scruffy bunny!

The fur is tightly matted & clumpy, & feels like dreadlocks or back-combed hair would be on a human – really tight & squished together knotted hair, impossible to brush out (we have tried!). It is clean – there is certainly no dirt or mess clumped into it – and the rest of her fur is fine, its just from the top of her tail around the back to about 2 or 3 inches up its clumpy. She is a Giant, bigger than the average cat already, so proportionally, its not a large amount of her fur overall.

We noticed it right from a few months after we first had her, and the vet checked it out when she was spayed (she is about 9 months approx, and was spayed in Feb) and said it was nothing to worry about. I don’t think its got much worse, but she has grown, and the scruffy patch has grown with her proportionally. It doesn’t seem to bother her, so we haven’t been worrying, however, I noticed yesterday she had little bits of megazorb fluff clinging into it (she’d been lying in a litter tray sleeping!). Her siblings wash her, and she washes herself fine, but she probably hadn’t noticed the fluff, and I’m worried that & worse could start getting mangled in.

Any suggestions? Brushing (what she will stand) has little effect. I’d consider getting the patch shaved, but I don’t want to cause her unnecessary stress, neither do I want her to end up in a mess!

Any suggestions as to what might be causing it, or how to resolve it?

I wondered if one of her siblings has been over-washing it perhaps – it occasionally has loose tufts sticking up, but she’s the only one out of 3 with this. They sleep snuggled, but I've never noticed one of the others washing her back like that. She’s the smallest of the three, and we think the dominant one. (My partner thinks she might have been the runt though by her size). Other than the fur, she seems fine – I’ve had a look at her teeth whilst shes chewing wood, and she eats, binkys, nibbles me etc fine.

My little black doe has something like this. I try to brush as much as possible then trim the rest which is difficult as she is so small. The best way I've found is use a flea comb as flat against the skin as possible then trip the fur that's on top of it that way you won't cut the skin as the comb acts as a guard. Do it a little bit at a time and I'm sure your bun will soon get used to it. Another thing you could try is using a furminator (cheaper from Ebay at around £10) for cats as this is the smallest size. Only use this though when the knots have gone as otherwise this will pull the coat too much.This must be used VERY gently as buns skin is so delicate. These are amazing brushes that take out all the lose down fur :D

Last edited:
You think I should trim them away? I might try that - I had another look last night (she was sprawled half asleep and couldn’t be bothered to chase me away :lol:) and some of it is just big solid knots, like lumps (Definitely fur though, not lumps under the skin). I tried teasing a few out before she got annoyed and harrumphed at me and it would take forever to try to tease out, and as they are a little greasy (natural oils I think) I think it would just get mashed up again. I’ll see if its possible to tease a few out and trim the rest that way, thank you.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

Back