• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

long haired bun and piggie

shelley1977

Warren Scout
Hi,
I discoved and long haired rabbit and guinea pig free to good home because the guinea pig kept eating rabbits fur!!
Im wondering what extra needs the rabbit will have,will it need brushed daily? what about the summer and fly strike.
Then the guinea pig,i have not had on since i was a child,is there anything i need to know.I have bought some oxbow cavy food and my rabbits love their bunny basics.I use a dust free hay,i assume its suitable can someone tell me if im wrong please.
I cant go to pick them up till Sunday i just hope they are ok,the woman didn't go into much detail.

Shelley

One thing is for certain they need to be seperated if they are together, a rabbit and guinea pig together is NOT a good mix! A rabbit should be paired with another rabbit and a guinea pig with another guinea pig! Someone once told me imagine you are paired with a chimp, imagine how you'd feel than in comparision.

Cavies can not produce their own vitamin c, so you need to provide them with a food enriched with this and plenty of fresh vegetables. I've only heard good things about oxbox cavy food so that's good.

The comb I use on my longcoated cavies is a comb for men. I find these work better than any metal comb out there was these tend to hurt them and feels uncomfy for them. I find it does a good job too.

I use the metal combs on long coated rabbits though and my fingers to ease any tangles out.

I think my biggest concern was that they where kept together,its not right.I dont even know what sex they are till i get them.
What are the best vegetables for guinea pigs?

Shelley

I think my biggest concern was that they where kept together,its not right.I dont even know what sex they are till i get them.
What are the best vegetables for guinea pigs?

Shelley

Guinea pigs seem to like most veggies! Some have different tastes to other - our current ones don't go much for carrots, whereas previous ones have love dthem. Cabbages, cucumber, celery, pepper, they eat much more veg than buns!

Grass and dandelions are top food for piggies!!!!

Back