• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Theo is ill now. . .

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
:(Poor Theo.......

At least I think its him.........

Either him or cleo are doing tiny poos and have been on and off for a while now............He is having a huge moult and I havent seen him eat much..........

His poos, no joke- are the size of the 'o's in this text.............

And i have seen one caeceotroph...............

Felt his belly- and whilst I dont feel many bunny bellies he seems 'compacted'

So - off to the vets at 4pm. Vibes please..........although he always has been 'runty' and 'sickly' - I have never had to take him to the vets before........And I had him in 2007.......He is approaching 4 soon.....

:(

Good luck at the vets.
Is he eating and drinking well? Its very important to get hay and especially water into him so if u havent seen him drink in a while i'd syringe him some water.
Poor guy, hope hes ok xxxxx

Been to the vets,

at this stage she said she cant see any problems with his teeth..........

She felt him and said he is not 'impacted / compacted' but she could feel lots of tiny tiny hard poos (which is what he has been doing for a day or two).

When she asked if anything in the diet had changed- i thought- and it had...........

I have been giving the bunnies all oxbow timothy hay. Im thinking maybe theo doesnt like it- I usually mix a bit of clover and plantain in with the hay- i know he has been eating that for sure.

I bought some excel meadow hay whilst I was at the vets so we can give that a go in case its not the hay.....

Got a follow up appointment in 48 hours, have been given Metoclop and Metacam to give him......

And she also wants me to syringe feed him recovery straight away- I disagree with this as he is still eating in tiny amounts. Havent seen him drink though.............and Theo and Cleo (as a pair) havent been getting through any where near as much water as Noodle and Twig.....

What does everyone think? Syringe feed straight away or see how it goes with the new hay??? Or syringe feed water alone?? Or see if he picks up post meds?

reading what I have just put- its simple....

He is eating food and treats- but not hay......

So its either that he doesnt like the new hay OR - its his teeth.............

any ideas?

Just tried syring feeding but he wont keep still- he has plently of life in him!!!

Instead I was naughty and squirted his front paws with the recovery (on purpose) so that he had to lick it all off- so indirectly- he has eaten a tiny bit of it!!!

So what did I do with the rest of the recovery that I made up???

Well- Noodle and Twig helped out..........massively- they were fighting over the syringe practically. Like to see you get an ill bun to take it!!! lol.... Only gave them about 5 mils of it though as not to upset them....

Sending loads of vibes for Theo.

Keep trying to tempt him to eat - herbs, grass or whatever you can get him to take. When Daisy was poorly the vet nurse recommended baby apple flavoured porridge stuff mixed with recovery, which encouraged her to eat. (Although Daisy was much keener on the porridge on its own than the mixture of the two!)

If Theo isn't drinking much, try cool, herbal tea - peppermint or chamomile would be good.

Do you have any bramble leaves in the garden or nearby? They're a great source of fibre to keep his gut working.

I hope he picks up soon.

Sending loads of vibes for Theo.

Keep trying to tempt him to eat - herbs, grass or whatever you can get him to take. When Daisy was poorly the vet nurse recommended baby apple flavoured porridge stuff mixed with recovery, which encouraged her to eat. (Although Daisy was much keener on the porridge on its own than the mixture of the two!)

If Theo isn't drinking much, try cool, herbal tea - peppermint or chamomile would be good.

Do you have any bramble leaves in the garden or nearby? They're a great source of fibre to keep his gut working.

I hope he picks up soon.

i think i have bramble leaves...

are those blackcurrants leaves???

I have black currant, red currant etc - loads of fruit trees down the bottom... are they all safe if i get it wrong?

Blackberry leaves is what I meant . Not sure about currant bushes for bunnies - hang on will google it for you.

ETA: Looked at a few lists online and can't see currants mentioned as safe. I wouldn't risk it!!

If you can find some blackberry leaves then offer him a small amount as it's a new food :)

Last edited:
sending loads of vibes for a fast recovery xxxx

i never syringe feed when Alvin starts nibbling and i hide the drugs in food. hes so fiesty messing with him hinders recovery rather than helps.

sending loads of vibes for a fast recovery xxxx

i never syringe feed when Alvin starts nibbling and i hide the drugs in food. hes so fiesty messing with him hinders recovery rather than helps.

yeah i thought that would be the case....

when Earl was ill- i think it was all the force feeding meds that made him worse......when i stopped them he improved- but never know if it because they worked or because i stopped

its the drugs that do the work....lol as long as you can get wet veg and pellets into him the hay should follow when he feels his tum needs it.. if he dont go at the hay i would be worried about the teeth but any food when stasis lurks is good and better if they eat themselves even if it means hours and hours of tempting until they eat to get you to go away :shock::shock:

Alvin eats hay just to show me hes eating and i dont grab him :roll:

thanks all- he will eat plantain and clover - dried..... i cant over dose him on them can I...
lol

gonna go give him more...

Back