PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Bottom

Nicola1
04-05-2010, 12:17 PM
My poor rabbits that I just rescued have what I assume to be sticky bottom, bums caked with poo that is disgusting, sticky and smelly. is there anything I can do or should I just wait until 4.40pm when I am seeing the vet?

SarahP
04-05-2010, 12:22 PM
What sort of diet are they on? Could be just a simple case of too much dried food and too little fibre. Their teeth probably want checking though.

Nicola1
04-05-2010, 12:26 PM
I rescued them from a pet shop who were selling them as 'rescues', took them in as a bonded pair and separated them. i have an epic thread on this in Rabbit Chat. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=3746473#post3746473 just to save repeating myself i do tend to rabbit on :lol:

they were on disgusting stale muesli in the pet shop, will be weaning onto SS pellets asap. they had hay today in the shop but havent seen any there before. they look overweight, the 'male' has a dewlap but could really be a female.

SarahP
04-05-2010, 12:30 PM
You may well find that a gradual change in the diet will get rid of the sticky bottoms. I know the two bunnies I had came to me like that, just through a diet of mostly muesli (they were really fat too!), and the problem was easily resolved by a gradual changeover to SS, and reduction in pellets to get them eating hay. Sounds like it's worth them having a check over though.

Nicola1
04-05-2010, 12:34 PM
They are still going to the vet anyway because who knows what else is wrong with the poor guys. should i try giving a bunny bath?