• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dirty bottoms

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
Hi guys I am quite worried,Carlo had a bit of a dirty bum yest whic I cleaned up.. was like skid marks:shock:

Then I noticed Bobby had the same this morning.. I have been feeding about an egg cup full of ss a day and spring greens about three big leaves beetween them.. is this too much? should I cut out pellett and veg!

their poops look fine to me, they just have skiddy bottoms:?

wish i knew what causes it hun. tummies are so confusing :? hope they both fell better later xxxx

They seem fine, I am just giving them hay this morning and will make sure Ian goes easy on the pelletts:?

Hey,
not sure what causes it, their diet sounds perfect to me. It could be that the excitement and upset of bonding and vets visits has upset their delicate tums abit. Id give them just hay for a couple of days until its cleared up.
Hope u and your lovely buns are ok :D
xxxxxxx

Hey,
not sure what causes it, their diet sounds perfect to me. It could be that the excitement and upset of bonding and vets visits has upset their delicate tums abit. Id give them just hay for a couple of days until its cleared up.
Hope u and your lovely buns are ok :D
xxxxxxx

Yes I think they are fine, as I say I think the poop is a bit stiky but formed!!! Have just left them with a mountain of fresh hay:D

Some buns just can't tolerate spring greens and anything from the brassica family - I have such a bun, she can only tolerate minute amounts if it is homegrown cabbage/brocoli family.
Our other bun has no probs at all with it.

Personally, I would leave off all veg for a couple of days and then reintroduce just one veg every 48-72 hours and wait for upset or excess caecotrophs. Keep a chart and that way you can work out what veg your buns are ok with. If I leave out the brassicas my sensitive bun can eat huge platefuls of greens! :D

Some buns just can't tolerate spring greens and anything from the brassica family - I have such a bun, she can only tolerate minute amounts if it is homegrown cabbage/brocoli family.
Our other bun has no probs at all with it.

Personally, I would leave off all veg for a couple of days and then reintroduce just one veg every 48-72 hours and wait for upset or excess caecotrophs. Keep a chart and that way you can work out what veg your buns are ok with. If I leave out the brassicas my sensitive bun can eat huge platefuls of greens! :D

Okay well Bobby has never had probs with them before, but I have started getting the spring greens from another supermarket, and she had a really messy bum last week, so bad I took her to the vet, so I am gonna start from scratch again

Okay well Bobby has never had probs with them before, but I have started getting the spring greens from another supermarket, and she had a really messy bum last week, so bad I took her to the vet, so I am gonna start from scratch again

Did you wash them thoroughly before feeding them?

We had a similar issue with T veg. Think it must be something to do with how they grow it.

I hope it is just a matter of funny tum through stress and veg :)

Normally S but have been to T for the veggies this week

Yes I thought so! I would go back to S!! I have had terrible acute dysbiosis from greens from T.... IMO they use a very strong chlorine solution to wash some of their veg (esp. pre packed stuff) as a preservative and even soaking and rinsing won't remove it all - this is just a hunch, but there are others who have had similar experiences with T. Go back to your usual store :D:wave:

ETA Chlorine causes upset in human tummies... can't imagine what it does to the delicately balanced gut flora in bunny tummies!

Oh okay will def do! How worrying:?.. should I just give them no veg for a couple of days to clear it up maybe? Before going back to s

Oh okay will def do! How worrying:?.. should I just give them no veg for a couple of days to clear it up maybe? Before going back to s

If they are really mucky bottomed then yes, atleast two days just hay if they will eat it, but if you need to throw in a few usual pellets if they are not hay eaters that will be ok - try to stick to mostly hay for the two days though. This will allow the gut flora to rebalance themselves. I would also reintroduce veg carefully, even from S, so that you can really work out for certain what causes upset and what doesn't. Remember 48 hours min before trying a new veg - this is the average time for caecal passing.

Once you have slowly built up a list of what the buns can and can't eat you can then slowly increase the amounts of these. Given time the gut flora can really get used to large amounts of veggies (provided they are not the ones that bun is sensitive to). Mine have a big plateful between them every evening. :D But it should take months to get to this point... perhaps 6 months to build up to it. Establishing a well balanced gut flora takes time. You will then find that upset and bad veg or other probs is tolerated much better if mistakes are made as bun's tummy is far more robust to deal with it. Buns with mucky bums with a poorly balanced digestive system will be super-sensitive to changes as the gut flora is already out of kilter.

Carlo used to get about half a big spring green leaf with a handful of other veggies (broccoli stalk, carrot, celery) or a smallish savoy cabbage leaf and coped fine with that. Over the winter, the veggies generally came from a supermarket beginning with A (and ending in I!)

Hope their mucky bums clean up soon - a couple of days without veggies won't hurt & they'll probably love you even more when you give them veggies again!:D

Back