• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do bunnies get bogeys?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
not runny snot....but actual sticky but very firm bogeys?

bertie had a pale and grey one in one nostril right on the edge. we had to hold him down and sue a soft tissue to remove it..and it def looked like a bogey!
i was worried it was his pasturella again...but no sign of any dishcarge...so im hoping i can be told yes bunnys get bogeys!

not runny snot....but actual sticky but very firm bogeys?

bertie had a pale and grey one in one nostril right on the edge. we had to hold him down and sue a soft tissue to remove it..and it def looked like a bogey!
i was worried it was his pasturella again...but no sign of any dishcarge...so im hoping i can be told yes bunnys get bogeys!

Not unless there is an underlying problem and if it was green it may well be linked to his Pasteurella. I would suggest getting the Vet to check him over, especially his lungs.

no not green jane...just almost white n solid.

touch wood he has been ok no more bogeys no discharge...his breathing is as good as it can be..and hes eating like a horse!

hes also very demanding.....especially full on hugs and kisses under his ears
:oops::oops::lol:

im taking my cat salem to ellen tomorrow morning..or should i say later today:lol:
i will mention it to her....and she will send some meds home unless hes having more probs breathing etc then shed see him.

i was wondering if it was in part due to his having his myxi jab last week..she said he wouldnt be well enough to make the full antibodies to it. maybe its left him with a flare up enough to produce one bogey?
will update in morning.

My Arwen gets regular bogies just as you describe (and hates getting them removed) but she has a completely blocked tear duct due to dodgy teeth and an infection just about kept under control with depocillin injections.... so if it lasts you might be in for trouble ahead:(

Ditto what others have said...buns only get bogeys when there is an underlying cause...usually a bacterial infection.

White, firm discharge is pus.

I have a bun with a pasteurella infection which caused abscesses underneath both ears. The abscesses were removed, but he occasionally still gets a bit of pus in his ear, or a long string of snot shoot from his nose if he sneezes. He's on weekly depocillin jabs for the rest of his life to keep the infection in check. He's remarkably healthy otherwise

no ive seen congealed pus discharge in a bun and it wasnt like that at all..just a little clump of bogey.
ellen asked how he was in himself etc as shed only examined him last week.
i told her about the bogey and she said as he sometimes gets a milky discharge remaining from his eye ulcer that time that it tends to get into the nasal passages and clump up.
she said it could even be his pasturella but he has been treated for it and he was fine a week ago. so just keep an eye.

i thought the pasturellawould have damaged his sense of smell and taste but he is one of the lucky ones who seems to havee got a lot of it intact..fingers crossed.
well he can sniff out the fresh hay a room away and if im eating toast hes in the kitchen chasing me even before i go to the lounge:lol: and thats when hes been out cold snoring fast asleep:lol:

so fingers crossed.

Arwen fits what ellen said..it going from the tear duct to the nose.

abbeymarysmokey....aww poor bun bless......yes bertie sneezed out a huge long string of white snot when he was first having breathing probs then the next day he had a nasal swab and was on baytril as a cover....tunred out his actually responds to the baytril!!!!!!!!

yes now berties stress levels have dropped his heart rate is slower and he seems more relaxed and easier to breathe. so keep taking him to the vet was discouraged by two vets at diff practices...unless its urgent.

Back