• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long would you leave your buns for?

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
I locked myself out of the house yesterday. Managed to get a neighbour to climb over fence and open gate to let me feed the rabbits. Then the dog and I had nowhere to sleep as the rest of the family were in the caravan on holiday!! Friend took me to caravan but I had to leave my beloved Benson and Lola overnight away until lunchtime! It nearly killed me!! :shock:

They were fine though. Got me thinking - can't let them rule my life. I'd like to start goin to the caravan again. Have spoken to a nice lady who is a pet sitter and she came to see how I care for the buns. She will come 2 times a day for half and hour each time, exercise them for the half hour, change water, hay and feed their veg and pellets.

What provision does everyone else make when they're away? Would you be happy with what I'm proposing to do? :? (I'd never be away from home from more than 2 - 3 days and not every week.....??

With 18 buns, other pets and fosters, we will not be going away anytime soon :lol:

I can't even face to stay at someone's house for the night (even though they are all fed etc) but that's cos I am a big worrier! :oops:

I go away for maybe 12 hours at a time... And worry the whole time!
It's only when I stay at my boyfriends, but it doesn't help that Charlies always trashed the whole pen when I get back as if he was bored and alone :(

I also don't trust anyone to look after my babies :oops:

I know that, if I did go away somewhere, I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself as I would worry all the time!

If i go away my mum is always there to look after them. She has learn very well ;)

Between us both we manage, if we both go away the buns will be travelling over to holidayhutch ;) :wave:

I've had one night away my boys, but only because my mum was there to look after them! She had a list of when to feed them, when to check their bums etc!:lol:

I feel like this too about leaving them but surely you can't spend the next 10 years not able to get away for the weekend!! Wish they travelled well, they could live in the caravan with everyone else!! :(

We have dogs and cats as well as bunnies so we get a pet sitter for when we're away. She's great with the bunnies and I don't worry about them when I'm away now

Maybe I'll just visit for the day and see to the buns early in the morning and be home for their supper and evening romp about that they enjoy so much. Don't think I'd enjoy myself anyway. I'd just spend the time worrying about them!! Wee furry, cute, snuggly wee guys!! :love:

if its for a day i wouldnt worry about the lack of excersise on a one off if they have to be left more than a day on the basis you were presuming then how about taking them with you to the caravan and putting a dog crate and puppy pen up there or giving free run of caravan? alternativly you could attatch a permenant run to thier hutch/cage so they have more excersise - personally think someone coming in twice a day to check and feed on them while on a holiday is fine provided you give them plenty of water and hay and they have ample excersise area.

if its for a day i wouldnt worry about the lack of excersise on a one off if they have to be left more than a day on the basis you were presuming then how about taking them with you to the caravan and putting a dog crate and puppy pen up there or giving free run of caravan? alternativly you could attatch a permenant run to thier hutch/cage so they have more excersise - personally think someone coming in twice a day to check and feed on them while on a holiday is fine provided you give them plenty of water and hay and they have ample excersise area.

Oh, they have permanent access to shed and run 24 hours so they can run around in there. They have about 14x4 feet. So maybe I shouldn't feel so guilty about leaving them. Would love a weekend in the caravan! :)

I hate to leave my pets (any of them) in anyone's care except my other half's. He's as stupid with the pets as I am (I mean daft, in a good silly we love you gooey pets kind of way!). I had to go on a course for work two years ago, and I cried loads on the phone on the first night! :roll:
We've not been away for several years now together, but that was also to do with us caring for my dad. There always seems to be some excuse, this pet is on this medication, or that pet might need this treatment. I won't do it yet, but if you have a nice offer from a reliable person, enjoy the break! :)

It's just a terrible worry isn't it. And I think I make up so many scenarios that will never happen anyway, I'm my own worst enemy!! Might do it once and see how I feel! Does ANYBODY ELSE leave their bunnies?? Only a couple of people have actually said that they do! :shock:

Yeh...I have left my lot for 3 weeks before...had my friend look after them all. I did miss them but I was on holiday so was very busy, phoned friend every few nights to see how they were doing

I dont leave mine for more than about an hour.
As soon as I get home I have to do check on everyBun :oops:

Now that I have a few chronically sick Buns I get up twice during the night to check on them too :oops:

I think you could say I am neurotic :oops:

Hi, we leave ours when we go on holiday, a week or two at a time. They are house bunnies and we have a house sitter that comes. When we are not in they have the run of kitchen / dining room which is about 20ft x 10ft and when we're in they have the living room, hallway and stairs as well (we try to keep them out of the bedrooms). They also get a run out in the garden most days. Our sitter gives them the same room as we do, but is nervous about having them out in the garden on her own, so doesn't usually. She comes over about 8 in the evening and sleeps at our house then goes to work the next morning (and to her own home and family for tea :lol:). The buns have each other and plenty of room so we don't worry too much about leaving them. Saying that, we do call / text every couple of days to make sure all is well, and I know she would get them straight to the vet if there was any problem. Apart from Angie / Tracey at BARC (where we adopted them from - and I have no idea if they do holiday sitting!) I can't think of anyone else we'd trust them with. Unless Angie/Tracey recommended anyone - we'd trust their judgement.

I think you're fine with what you're proposing. Enjoy your break!

Thanks folks. I have told her that I'm only an hour away and I can come home straight away if they look lethargic or if they are not eating. I'll try it once and see how I like it!! :shock:

The first time is the hardest. A few years ago when we had Bob and Scooby (both at the Bridge now:(), I went to work in Malaysia for 3 months. I was heartbroken and cried buckets at the thought of leaving them, but there were in good hands with OH and he kept sending me videos and photos of their funny little ways and they kept me going. I couldn't do it again though, it was too hard.

Back