• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur Mites - Am I doing the right thing?

gilljem

New Kit
Hi,

My dwarf lop buck Flopsy has a small patch of fur mites. I tried the Johnsons shampoo for mites which didn't work so took him to the vets today. I am a vet novice as although I have had several rabbits in the past I have fortunately never needed the services of a vet! Anyway the vet gave Flopsy an Ivermectin injection which is to be repeated a further 2 times. I was charged £40 (including vet consultation fee) and on asking the receptionist whether I would be charged this fee another 2 times for the further injections he just looked at me apologetically and said probably yes. Am I getting ripped off here - £120 to cure fur mites?!?! I am now thinking I would have been better off to have tried a spot on treatment first. Any advice greatly appreciated please!!!

Hi,

My dwarf lop buck Flopsy has a small patch of fur mites. I tried the Johnsons shampoo for mites which didn't work so took him to the vets today. I am a vet novice as although I have had several rabbits in the past I have fortunately never needed the services of a vet! Anyway the vet gave Flopsy an Ivermectin injection which is to be repeated a further 2 times. I was charged £40 (including vet consultation fee) and on asking the receptionist whether I would be charged this fee another 2 times for the further injections he just looked at me apologetically and said probably yes. Am I getting ripped off here - £120 to cure fur mites?!?! I am now thinking I would have been better off to have tried a spot on treatment first. Any advice greatly appreciated please!!!

That's standard for a course of ivermectin. It's cheaper to buy online but obviously you are then using it without the advice of a vet. You may not be charged 40 for each trip, as I would imagine the consultation fee is included and technically you should only pay that once, the rest should be follow ups thus not charged. Depends on your vet!

Thank you for your reply. I'm going to ring the vets in the morning and hopefully speak to someone else to find out exactly what I will need to pay and what for. I hope you're right and the receptionist is wrong!

Once the fur mites are clear, what does anyone recommend to keep them at bay as I obviously want to keep Flopsy well and avoid future expensive trips to the vets?

Back