• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elijah's eye looks sore. Had his check up and final vaccination

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I'm panicking and thinking the worst as he only had his myxi vaccination 4 days ago.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

It could be many other things of course (including paranoia on my part, after losing Izzy the way I did after 3 weeks).

It's just one eye and so far as I can judge his genitals don't look swollen.

I've been panicking for about three hours and went to see him again to talk myself out of it and I can't.:cry: At the moment it just looks like wet fur round his eye and not swollen. The area above his eye looks pink but that could just be because his fur is flattened. I'll just keep an eye on him for the mo as he's in really good spirits and there's nothing much to see. If he's any worse, as soon as there's anything to see he will go to the vets. He may just have had a bit of dust in his eye, hopefully.

At least he's been in strict quarantine as he's been here less than 2 weeks so I'm trying not to panic any further.

I took a picture but I don't really think it shows anything:

I don't know why Photobucket has given me a small picture and I can't work out how to change it!!

Last edited:
It still looks sore today :cry::cry::cry:

Possibly more wet than swollen, so I'm trying to positive but I'm out of my mind with worry :cry::cry::cry::cry:

He'll be seeing a vet as soon as I can. If it is 'M' he most probably won't be coming back :cry:

Aw, I hope your bunny is ok.
There are plenty of other possibilities as you know- he may have just poked it with something or have a bit of infection so try not to think the worst but get it checked as soon as you can because it's probably sore as you say xx

Aw, I hope your bunny is ok.
There are plenty of other possibilities as you know- he may have just poked it with something or have a bit of infection so try not to think the worst but get it checked as soon as you can because it's probably sore as you say xx

Thank you for replying :love:

Having just checked now it looks more like it's watering than anything (though does look pink), I'm thinking more tear duct or something such (god I hope so!)

it does look a little watery, but he could have poked it with some hay or got some dust in it or anything. try not to panic yet. easy said than done! xx

it does look a little watery, but he could have poked it with some hay or got some dust in it or anything. try not to panic yet. easy said than done! xx

Thank you.
I've not seen him 'bothering' it but the fur is messed up in all directions so maybe it is uncomfortable and he keeps rubbing it. I think 'something in his eye' would be a good outcome.

I need to calm down and get ready for work. Then tell my manager I want to book a vet's appointment.

Thank you.
I've not seen him 'bothering' it but the fur is messed up in all directions so maybe it is uncomfortable and he keeps rubbing it. I think 'something in his eye' would be a good outcome.

I need to calm down and get ready for work. Then tell my manager I want to book a vet's appointment.

matt gets this quite alot, where the fur is all pushed about and looks slightly watery. he poked it quite bad once with some hay and i panicked alot! :roll:

when his eye looks a bit watery i usually wipe it over with some cooled boiled water and he seems to like it. but i agree a vets visit would let you know for sure and ease your mind. xx

Goodness I am so sorry I missed this yesterday. I have had similar scares with Bunny eyes. What you are describing sounds like a tear duct issue rather than anything more sinister. If you gently bathe the eye with cooled boiled water and massage around the duct you may find a more milky discharge appears. This would indicate the presence of a bit of infection and some abx eye drops would be needed.

Why do Bunnies cause us so much STRESS !!

Goodness I am so sorry I missed this yesterday. I have had similar scares with Bunny eyes. What you are describing sounds like a tear duct issue rather than anything more sinister. If you gently bathe the eye with cooled boiled water and massage around the duct you may find a more milky discharge appears. This would indicate the presence of a bit of infection and some abx eye drops would be needed.

Why do Bunnies cause us so much STRESS !!

:love::love: Thank you Jane.

He's seeing FHB in about 50 minutes. His eye is definitely watering so I'm more thinking as above now. She did say his teeth weren't great so I bet he's got tooth root issues :cry: (Better than M though)

Poor little man. :(:( Hopefully it's 'just' a tear duct problem, rather than anything more sinister (although it would be even nicer if it was just a sore eye from getting poked with something). Let us know how he gets on. ;)

Thank you.

It's not myxi :D:D:D

She said she could see one eye protruded more than the other and they got a gadget to test the pressure of his eyes (and a man to operate the machinery :lol:) His eye pressures were fine so the problem lies with something pressing his eye out - most likely tooth root though could be an abscess :?

So likkle Chicken has stayed at Harrogate and tomorrow he's having skull radiographs, tear duct flushing and losing his manhood :shock:

Thank you for the good wishes and vibes ... I'm sure he'd appreciate some more.

Thank you.

It's not myxi :D:D:D

She said she could see one eye protruded more than the other and they got a gadget to test the pressure of his eyes (and a man to operate the machinery :lol:) His eye pressures were fine so the problem lies with something pressing his eye out - most likely tooth root though could be an abscess :?

So likkle Chicken has stayed at Harrogate and tomorrow he's having skull radiographs, tear duct flushing and losing his manhood :shock:

Thank you for the good wishes and vibes ... I'm sure he'd appreciate some more.

Oh no, sorry its not better news :( Sending lots of vibes for him x

Oh no, sorry its not better news :( Sending lots of vibes for him x

Thank you. She actually sounded fairly optimistic. I'm just glad it wasn't myxi as it would have been a death sentence for him at this stage in his life.

When I asked about eye removal etc she said I was way ahead of myself, that possibly it could be managed without it really bothering him much... let's hope so.

Any more vibes for likkle Elijah?

He's got a really big day tomorrow - we don't want the radiographs to show anything too nasty, he needs a happy life now after the neglectful life he's led so far :)

Best of luck for today, handsome little man. :love::love:

You'll feel better without those plums, and fingers crossed the radiographs show the best case scenario. :D:D

Back