• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finally settled on a new run idea but i am not too convinced just yet

beki

Mama Doe
me and the BF have been having a discussion and he has convinced me that i can give the bunnies more space up at the end of the garden than i can on the patio, which is very true but i am worried of my babies being at the end of the garden. it is only 30 steps up there so i am probably worrying too much about them and as the garden is sloped upwards i will be able to see them out of the back bedroom window (got to fix the scary steps though i will break my neck popping up to feed them in the rain and dark!). up there we can give them a min of 6x9 foot aviary (this is the closest i can get out of 210x300cm) i might be able to squeeze it a bit bigger once i have concreted the area. It will be between the two fences at the top of the garden so pretty sheltered and i am going to build one solid side and a solid back on to to stop the bunnies eating the trees up there

I could get it up to 9 foot wide but we have got to watch one of the neighbors borders, he has built a huge monstrosity that is a 8 foot tall shed type cube thing up there and it is bound to go rotten within the next few years as it is rubbish and i don't want to put the bunnies run too close to it. so it will have to be about 6 wide

This is going to be a lot of work, digging and cementing in an old greenhouse base but i hopefully will get it done within the next couple of months :) poor buns got to make do with the little run and hutch til then , but i am sure it will be worth it in the end.

will 9x6 be a good size? buying aviary panels for the mesh bits but going to get plyboard for the other bits, thick plyboard, will this be suitable. And a solid roofing felt roof or possibly corrugated plastic, it needs to be hard as we have lots of cats around, and i am not sure about the others but one of mine will spend all of her time bouncing on top of the run and i don't want it to break! it will be a full height 6 foot aviary too so i can get their hutch in it.

Sounds AWESOME!!! Can you come make me one?? ;)

How many buns do you have? 6x9 should be fine for up to 4 buns i reckon. Is that including the hutch inside?

Our current run is 8x6 and it is a good size - I can only just move it around on my own by doing one end at a time. If yours is fixed in one place then it will be easier. :)
If it is fixed in one spot, don't forget to use a wire skirt or concrete slabs around the edge to prevent foxes digging in, or bun digging out!
Plywood is fine but you will need to treat it with waterproof wood stain and possible a varnish on top to make it totally waterproof (this is what we did for the little house in our run) We used roofing felt on top of plywood for the house roof, you can use proper felt nails to secure it.

My OH is wanting to use corrugated plastic when we rebuild ours this year for a waterproof lid. My concern is that it will heat up like a greenhouse underneath if the sun shines on it, but he feels with all the sides open for air flow this is unlikely. Something to think about anyway. Ours are house buns so we only use the run when we can't supervise in the garden free range.
Good luck building it - I reckon your buns are going to be over the moon! :D

thanks :) it is just for 2 smallish buns so they are going to be very happy (maybe i could start pestering for a third bun??). Hutch will be inside it, its not a huge hutch, its just over 4.5 feet and a double hutch. I wanted a bigger hutch but it depends on how much money i have left over from making this. Have £240 saved so far but money is a bit tight at the moment so i want to stay within this budget if i can.

The whole top of my garden is concreted apart from the greenhouse base hole which was left when we dismantled the greenhouse so we just have to fill this in, but this will be inside the concrete. There will be at least a foot of concrete making a rim around the run so should be safe for foxes. We have foxes that pass through the garden on a regular basis which is why i am putting the hutch inside the run for extra security. I did think i could plant them a couple of square feet of grass in some of the hole and concrete round it but i will see.

I wanted a shed but it was either a shed and a tiny run or a hutch and a big run, so the big run has won, but i still want a shed :( maybe if i ever move house and get a nice flat garden.

i will have to post a pic of my garden

my buns can't free range unfortunately so i want it to be as big as i can make it. They also will have the small run too so they can play on the grass.

It sounds brilliant. :D x

9x6 is the size I'm planning on for a run for my indoor buns' to have a run around it. But it can't be full height because it would block the windows of the house if it was so 3ft is as high as I can have it.

Look forward to pics etc! I have to save up yet for mine and do some clearing etc first...... I feel really impatient to have it done! :oops:

I plan to get a playhouse to attach the run to for my bunnies as it won't be so imposing as a shed.

Back