• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

biting through the bars (pics)

elaine84

Warren Scout
Currently bonding 2 rabbits after Lily's husbun passed away. Sometimes they are ok together (for limited amounts of time or if stroking them at the same time) but I haven't been able to leave them alone without them fighting so overnight I had to have them in separate cages but next to each other, now they are in one big cage with mesh in between.
(they were also at a rescue for a week with mesh inbetween to slow-bond then when i brought them home i tried them together)

They keep biting through the bars - should I let them do this and sort this bit out or is it making it worse; like it's teasing them that they can't get to each other? I don't want to build up all this tension then release them onto each other! On the other hand is it likely they could sort out some issues through biting through the bars? They've moved away from each other a bit now.

last night:
This pic is them relaxed together when I've been stroking them lots (looking v promising!), then he started humping her (after a few hours) which made her aggro again. Even though they look settled on the first one if I left them for more than 1-2 minutes they'd fight again.
bonding1.jpg

today:
This is their setup now- which i'm not sure if it makes it worse for them or will get them used to each other?
bonding2.jpg

If they are biting through the bars and they are getting agitated with each other, this may induce an injury. By stressing them up this may affect their immune system and also their GI tract.

Is the area they are currently on neutral territory? If it isn't it will need to become if you are to continue them being there.

If they remain stressed next to each other I would suggest stopping having them side by side and trying to get someone else to do the bonding on totally neutral territory for you.

this is them at the moment. as you can see they seem more relaxed now (lily is the one laying down). wish i could think like a rabbit!:roll:
it is neutral territory yes, they're in my bedroom but usually lily only ever goes downstairs and in the garden.

bonding3.jpg

Back