• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick Qn: Is straw eating bad?

Well, not entirely...
With horses, eating straw will give them colic, which I would imagine to be the same for buns (giving them stasis), however Barley Straw is okay for horses, so I would think this is the case for bunnies too.

think it depends on how much and what the rest of their diet is. Mine have plenty of hay but will still eat all the softest bits of the straw when its first put in. Never had any ill effects and i dont think its likely to cause much trouble so i dont stop them.
If a bun is eating loads of hay and then loads of straw its probably a sign of an underlying issue

my rabbit loves eating straw, he'll eat it before he eats his hay, so I stopped putting it in for him. i was just worried he would fill up on rubbish though and not eat his hay/veg, not that it would be bad for him :shock:

ah. Angel has been ill again and was re-admitted about 3 nights ago with very large gassy stomach. Came back from vets the next day and within 12 hours things had taken a turn for the worse again. She seems better today (has been on infacol and zantac) but her tum is still bigger than normal from what I can feel and still seems a little gassy.
She's eating and pooing and seems ok in herself.

Suddenly wondered today if it was anything to do with the straw i've seen her eat, so this aft have changed their litter trays and only put hay in.

Fingers crossed this may be the cause and so things will now return to normal :?

Thanks for the replies, you wonderful rabbity people!! :love:

ah. Angel has been ill again and was re-admitted about 3 nights ago with very large gassy stomach. Came back from vets the next day and within 12 hours things had taken a turn for the worse again. She seems better today (has been on infacol and zantac) but her tum is still bigger than normal from what I can feel and still seems a little gassy.
She's eating and pooing and seems ok in herself.

Suddenly wondered today if it was anything to do with the straw i've seen her eat, so this aft have changed their litter trays and only put hay in.

Fingers crossed this may be the cause and so things will now return to normal :?

Thanks for the replies, you wonderful rabbity people!! :love:

Do you know what type of straw it is?
I think you've made the right decision to remove it.
Sending vibes for her x x

Thanks Hetty, just told OH about straw giving horses colic...relieved I've taken it out and asked the question now.
Not sure on the type, it's from a big pet supply warehouse thing where I get the hay from.

I usually get a bale of straw and a bale of hay a month. Think i'll just get 2 bales of hay and use one for litter and one for nomming.

Is megazorb bad if eaten? As this has been under the straw...? (They currently JUST have hay, nothing else in their trays.)

I've been too worried about Charlie eating stuff in his litter tray so I just use some ripped up newspaper with plenty of hay on top. Newspaper is basically just there to stop the hay sticking to the tray when hes pee'd on it :lol:

Thanks Hetty, just told OH about straw giving horses colic...relieved I've taken it out and asked the question now.
Not sure on the type, it's from a big pet supply warehouse thing where I get the hay from.

I usually get a bale of straw and a bale of hay a month. Think i'll just get 2 bales of hay and use one for litter and one for nomming.

Is megazorb bad if eaten? As this has been under the straw...? (They currently JUST have hay, nothing else in their trays.)

Mine have never attempted to eat megazorb ever, but I don't give it to them, as in my opinion it was a waste of money as hay in the litter tray is just as good (and cheaper!) I used to put newspaper and then hay, but now I just put hay, as the newspaper used to turn to gloop and stick and get all messy, but now all I need to do is empty it, wash it down and dry it.
Horses are so similar to rabbits, so it's quite handy doing my course!

Yeah if I run out of megazorb towards the end of the month I use newspaper instead with hay on top. But Angel eats paper so am worried about that too!

Will just use hay i think. :D

Straw is awful for bunnies teeth! If they are fed just this and have no access to hay or grass then it leads to dental problems, it doesn't have the same grinding motion as hay or grass. My Noisette is a prime and classic example! Her previous owners fed her nothing but straw and mix food and its why she developed spurs and has misaligned teeth!

Why on earth would someone feed straw on purpose??! :shock: It would never cross my mind to use it as a food! Angel just seems to like it :?

thats mad. :shock: bet a pet shop advised them to do that. i guess straw is sometimes cheaper, that might be why?

Mine just have hay in their litter tray, and its seems fine, not very good at soaking the wee up, but it gets cleaned out everyday so isn't really a problem. Mine have a mountain of barley straw in their run, but they just play in it rather than eat it, which is good!

I would avoid it too if she eats it. I've used newspaper for ages under litter & hay & after getting two buns with blockages - possibly caused by eatiing paper or cardboard loo rolls:oops: I avoid. Little monkeys.:roll:

Hope she's feeling better soon:D

i only use straw in the bed box and then i half fill with straw and half with hay as straw is a better insulater........i have only seen one of the buns nibble on a bit and has been fine so i'll watch out now.....:?

Back