• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I do?

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
There are 2 rabbits for sale as rescue rabbits in the pet shop close to me. they are 3 years old, and came in as a bonded pair but are now being sold separately. i asked the woman about them and she doesnt really seem to know where they came from or whether they are neutered. They have no hay that i could see, and not sure about food and water. not sure if they are boys/girls either, as she was closing when i was asking questions. she also has '6-8 week old' baby rabbits for sale.

I really want to take in these 2 rescue rabbits, so they can be together and dont end up in the disgustingly small hutch that is the only thing she has for sale. but i already have 3 rabbits living separately while they recover from neutering, and I am pushed for space.

Is there anybody in the Newcastle area who can take them in as a pair and give them care? Or do you think that it would be fair for me to take them in?

It's awful if they are a pair and are being split up. Do you have room? Do you have enough money for extra vets fees etc? Tough decision.......:?

I know :( I could find the room and money it would be tight though. but in 2/3 months I am moving and getting a proper career so they would have much more space and I'd have more money. its so tough. i dont want to regret getting them, but i dont want to never know where they ended up. they could have health problems or anything, and get dumped because they don't want to deal with the bills.

I really dont know :? i guess it depends on whether you can afford it and also just thinking, as they have now been separated are they going to bond back together? Judging by there age if they are 3 and have lived together so long without been neutered, i am amazed? :shock:

I know, I agree. they could be neutered though. the woman had no idea dont think she even knew where they were from. they've clearly never been to a vet before the pet shop put them on sale, surely they should have been vet checked first. i wonder if they separated them because they were fighting? also if they're unneutered females wouldnt they soon be at massive risk of cancer? they could be a boy and a girl. they could have had litters. who knows. I really dont know what to do :(. theres not really any rescue centres close to me that take in small animals, that im aware of anyway, think the closest are in sunderland and northumberland.

yeah :) my heart just wants me to get them but my head says it isnt really fair, because they would be spending 2 months mainly in a hutch before I move, and I need to focus on bonding the ones I already have. but at least the hutch i got them would be a 6ft one not one of those tiny ones. suppose if its two girls my boys could have 1 each :lol: would be easier than trying to bond them two.

yeah :) my heart just wants me to get them but my head says it isnt really fair, because they would be spending 2 months mainly in a hutch before I move, and I need to focus on bonding the ones I already have. but at least the hutch i got them would be a 6ft one not one of those tiny ones. suppose if its two girls my boys could have 1 each :lol: would be easier than trying to bond them two.

If you are able to let them out for exercise then a 6foot hutch could be considerably better than what they might go into if someone else takes them. Are they in seperate cages in the pet shop, or both in the same one?

If you do decide to take them then have a vet check done straight away to confirm sexes and check for any obvious problems to put your mind at rest.

It sounds to me like your 90% ready to take them already :)

separate cages, but when they came in they were together. so I could be looking at two separate set ups. I think I am :) I know if I went in there on Tuesday and they weren't there I'd be devastated. I just don't want to be unfair on them. I know my OH isnt happy about me even considering it, but then he was like that with the others. I was thinking I could give them my phone number and say that if nobody takes them I'll have them, but that won't stop them going to a bad home.

I think even if you took them on and rehomed them it would be better then where they could end up, but you would probably fall in love with them and keep them :lol:

But they would be spending most of the day in a hutch for at least 2 months until i moved. OH is sooo not impressed that im considering it :roll: i might go in on tuesday and ask why shes separated them, if they're boys or girls etc.

Update

OH has majorly put his foot down on this, like if I get those rabbits they may not have a bunny mum to look after them because he will kill me. :(

Come on guys pleeeeeeeeease help. These poor babies have been neglected for 3 years and now SPLIT UP and living in a feeble excuse for a pet shop, they are essentially going to go separately, to morons, who have no idea, and die. :(

I am going back in on Tuesday and if nobody has responded to this thread I'm going to have to get them and face the resulting wrath, I can't leave them there. :( then I think I'll try to rehome them, but i know once they're in my house I won't want to part with them.

Come on you know you want to!

if they have already been split up you need to find out why they have been split up first....i cant help sorry,, i know how you feel tho, i was like it and it really plays on your mind......if your OH is that against it you should think about it very carefully.

If I were you I would get them and try and rehome them through Rabbit Rehome. If they have been separated for no good reason it's disgraceful.

i know........have you not got any kind of set up for them? just thinking about you spending loads of money and then trying to rehome them.
i know you have already got your hands full with your 3 already. you said the petshop was closing when you went in..go in tomorrow and speak with them and then take it from there...... im glad im too far away cause id be the same as you :oops: if they have been split up they will need rebonding and if they have been fighting they might not go together again...:? but then you'd have 2 girls for 2 of your boys..:lol: only joking on the last bit. :lol:

I know :( I think I will try this, but I know once they are under my roof I'll probably not be able to part with them.

Back