• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Concerned after VHD injection-cylap

Boots

Mama Doe
Hi everyone :wave:

Crumpet had his VHD injection last Tuesday and has seemed a bit off colour since then.. He's eating, drinking, pooping good poos and passing urine so he's fine in that respect.

He just doesn't seem quite right though, like not as bouncy, lacklustre kind of thing.

Am I just being paranoid? He's still binkying and running round but I'm just concerned :oops:

Any advice you can give is always appreciated :wave:

Usually they recover within a couple days, so that is quite a long time to be off-colour. But from what you've said he seems healthy, maybe he is just a bit upset with you over the trip?

It toolk Amber a good few days to completely get back to normal after Cylap. Like Crumpet, she was eating and pooing etc but just really 'off' and not as fiiesty as usual.

I sent a steaming email with poll results from here to the company who make Cylap but I never had a proper response:evil:

Bart is the same... he had VHD vacc yesterday (Cylap) and he was OK last night and this morning to some extent but at the moment he is very quiet and is doing a lot of sitting, no flopping. He hasn't eaten much, or pee'd? But lots of pooping.

I'll get the missus to check when she is home from work... is this normal after VHD vacci?

Bart is the same... he had VHD vacc yesterday (Cylap) and he was OK last night and this morning to some extent but at the moment he is very quiet and is doing a lot of sitting, no flopping. He hasn't eaten much, or pee'd? But lots of pooping.

I'll get the missus to check when she is home from work... is this normal after VHD vacci?

after cyclap yes best if can request lapinjeect if possible les sside effects. xx

Pip had VHD yesterday I requested Lapinject and he is fine today actually I was starting to wonder why he was tearing around like a loon and he has created himself an assault course, so funny to watch!

Anyway sorry what I was going to say is he is probably just put out because of the trip, have you checked for any soreness around the injection area??

Gah I wish I knew this stuff was evil before I took him, oh well. I know for next time!

I checked him over earlier for any bloat etc and didn't feel or see anything where he was injected, hmm.

Gonna ring the missus see how he is.

Crumps is finally back to his normal self :D yes Homer, he did just sit around a lot, no flopping, just sitting in one spot.

The journey probably upset him, but he's done them before.

How do you go about politely asking for lapinject? I don't want to come across as demanding but I'm going to have to ask for the other buns. And again Homer me too! I wish I had looked on here before I took him :( Hindsight is a beautiful thing!

I have total house rabbits,they have no contact with the outside world.I did get the jabs for them in their first year etc,but then decided against it."Rio" is now six and "Cleo" is now three. I freeze their hay for 24 hours before feeding.The vet suggested this as Rio had mites years back.So far so good.

after cyclap yes best if can request lapinjeect if possible les sside effects. xx

i no this is completly of track...(im so sorry for being rude)
but Bunlover i saw ur missing bun sign on a post box on the way to school months ago, im so sorry you havent found her yet!!when ever we went past, we'd wish that whoever she belonged to, she would return to them!

Last edited:
Crumps is finally back to his normal self :D yes Homer, he did just sit around a lot, no flopping, just sitting in one spot.

The journey probably upset him, but he's done them before.

How do you go about politely asking for lapinject? I don't want to come across as demanding but I'm going to have to ask for the other buns. And again Homer me too! I wish I had looked on here before I took him :( Hindsight is a beautiful thing!

I just explained to my vet that a lot of people I know (I didnt say it was people on here) have said that their rabbits have various reactions to cylap and I would prefer to use Lapinject instead, they were fine about it and got it in especially for me as they dont stock it! It is defo worth asking them!

Bart has recovered from his cylap, and managed to instead sprain his leg! Poor sod was limping about a bit last night so we put everything on the floor in his cage so he could eat/drink and then got him to the vets first thing today.

He is much better this morning but he has been given a shot of metacam to help him along

vibes :wave:

Bart has recovered from his cylap, and managed to instead sprain his leg! Poor sod was limping about a bit last night so we put everything on the floor in his cage so he could eat/drink and then got him to the vets first thing today.

He is much better this morning but he has been given a shot of metacam to help him along

vibes :wave:

This is known as the VHD 'limp' and has been reported in many rabbits after they have been vaccinated using Cylap!! The manufacturers of the vaccine amended their info sheet last September and now mention forelimb lameness as a possible side effect:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Cylap/-44936.html

You should ask your vet to fill in a Suspected Adverse reaction form and send it to the manufacturers (Fort Dodge), and should not have to pay for any treatment.

Back