• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit 'First Aid Kit'

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
I want to set up a kind of first aid kit for my rabbits, what kind of things do you think it should have in it?

Here's my list for the basics i.e what we have in ours;

1) Recovery Food (science selective et al)
2) Syringes (various types including a good sized feeding syringe)
3) Panacur/Lapizole (Paste or 10%)
4) Heat pad or instructions for a rice sock
5) Infacol
6) Nail clippers
7) Emergency vet number written on a piece of paper
:cool: Styptic powder
9) Thermometer
10) Baby food (in date)

Here's my list for the basics i.e what we have in ours;

1) Recovery Food (science selective et al)
2) Syringes (various types including a good sized feeding syringe)
3) Panacur/Lapizole (Paste or 10%)
4) Heat pad or instructions for a rice sock
5) Infacol
6) Nail clippers
7) Emergency vet number written on a piece of paper
:cool: Styptic powder
9) Thermometer
10) Baby food (in date)

That a useful list. I have some recovery food in sachets from when Clover has stasis, but it only had 2 weeks date on it. Is it ol to still use when out of date?

thank you. can I buy syringes or do I need to see the vet for them? I have at least 3 already like :lol: just in case those ones need to be used.

This is what I have got and I must admit it has come in very useful when I have a poorly sick bunny. One thing I would mention is regularly check the dates on your critical care as I was syringe feeding for about three days I found out I did not have enough because it was out of date. Baby food is good to add a bit of flavour to the critical care if they are reluctant to eat it but only use a small amount and only after your vet has advised you to syringe feed.

Syringes - 1 mil, 2 mil, 5 mil and 20 mil.
Critical care/science recovery
aviprol
panacur
pro c
fibreplex
baby food fruit or veg based only
cranberry juice (store cupboard)
pineapple juice (store cupboard)
nail clippers
scissors
cotton wall
cotton buds
sudacrem
vasaline
infolcal
grip water

I'm sure there is more but I can't remember it all.

That a useful list. I have some recovery food in sachets from when Clover has stasis, but it only had 2 weeks date on it. Is it ol to still use when out of date?

I questioned this with a vet recently (who I would class as rabbit savvy) and they said it doesn't matter how out of date it is, it's the fibre in it that counts. The date apparently refers to the effectiveness of the added vitamins.

I questioned this with a vet recently (who I would class as rabbit savvy) and they said it doesn't matter how out of date it is, it's the fibre in it that counts. The date apparently refers to the effectiveness of the added vitamins.

Thanks, I didn't like to just throw them away, and I couldn't see that there was anything to 'go off' in them :)

Back