• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

am i panicing for nothing?

angieb

Mama Doe
i hope so......i noticed today when ive been watching miffy that when she laid down she had a slight head tilt, only very slight and when i spoke to her she corrected it.
i have just given them their tea and after she laid down again it happened, again i spoke to her and she was fine again got up and her head was fine.
am i just being paranoid? :?

i dont know alot about E.C. if this was a symptom would it be ALL the time?
it might sound really silly but i cant work out if its just her ear flopping more down and looking like her heads tilting. :?
someone please reply as im constantly looking out of the window....

Without seeing her its impossible to say !!

The onset of a headtilt can be gradual or it can be rapid. If you remain concerned then really only a Vet can help.

Sorry not to be able to say 'she's fine' because I dont know as I cant see her !!

Head tilt is normally i think *constant* but there is every possibility it can go up and down in phases as the damage is inflammation of the nerves, which of course can flare up and down depending on bun's state of immunity. I would expect minor fluctuations to occur over greater lengths of time rather than from moment to moment but have no personal experience of EC so can not give you an accurate description of the symptoms in this sense.

Has your bun had a course of Panacur at any time? Are there any other symptoms? Is she eating and drinking and passing droppings ok? Perhaps she just flops her head to one side when lying down... mine do this when they are tired. If her head is straight when she stands up I would think this an indicator that it is not EC, as I would expect the movement to make her dizzy, but I am no vet. If you are at all concerned I would suggest you make a vet appointment. Some vets run normal clinics at wknds (just with a wknd surcharge). Sorry I can be of no further help.

thanks jane.....:)
as i am looking now she looks normal, its just a couple of times today that ive noticed it..so if i took her to a vet they would proberly say she was ok as she's not perminantly doing it. or can they head tilt intermitantly? :?

Without seeing her its impossible to say !!

The onset of a headtilt can be gradual or it can be rapid. If you remain concerned then really only a Vet can help.

Sorry not to be able to say 'she's fine' because I dont know as I cant see her !!

Jane has far more experience of this than me... if onset can be gradual then it is a possibility clearly, I was not aware of this, but I would try not to worry too much until you have had her checked by a vet. :)

thanks prettylupin..i think we posted at the same time and you answered my question....:)
everything else is fine she is eating pooing and drinking fine. she has never been poorly, only been to the vets for the usual vacs and spey. :)

thanks prettylupin..i think we posted at the same time and you answered my question....:)
everything else is fine she is eating pooing and drinking fine. she has never been poorly, only been to the vets for the usual vacs and spey. :)

Yes we did, I would take Jane's advice and experience over mine on this one, she has far more experience than I. I would hope that it is just a quirk when she is lying down and nothing more sinister. I think a vet check up is wise if you continue to be concerned. Good luck. :)

i have justhad my coat on and stood outside for ages and observed her and there was no head tilt. i am going to carry on observing her and see how she goes.....:?
hopefully she is just tired. :? :)

Back