• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hormones after castration???

CRBevis

Mama Doe
De-plumming doesn't stop all hormone production does it???

Someone said to me he shouldn't have any hormones as been done but as far as I knew de-plumming doesn't remove the hormone factory in them just may lessen it.

Polo was 1 on 12th April and was de-plummed at 6-7 months old.

Every so often I can smell what I pretty sure is hormones. Can smell it on hi poo and it wofts up from him sometimes. It lasts for a couple of days and he goes all cuddly. Then it disapears for a few weeks.

Lately though he seems to have hormone smelly poo and him smelling all the time and he has almost lost his litter training.

So either it is a hormone thing as it was spring time when he started pooping and peeing in certain places or maybe it a naughty age thing or the fact I let him go free range to soon.

What do you think???

people assume alvin is still intact when they meet him. some bunnies just have excess hormones i think.. altho it has been suggested by two diffo people that Alvin may not have been totally castrated and theres still some balls left inside creating the hormones that a totally castrated bun wouldnt have :?

people assume alvin is still intact when they meet him. some bunnies just have excess hormones i think.. altho it has been suggested by two diffo people that Alvin may not have been totally castrated and theres still some balls left inside creating the hormones that a totally castrated bun wouldnt have :?

Thats what I was told today by Sue at Southampton rabbit Rescue, she said it doesn't sound right me smelling his hormones.

Probs just them being ackward:roll: Well Polo is going back to being locked up at night from now on until he either gets his litter manners back or settles down if it is a adolesence behaviour thing.

But for past few weeks he is humming with hormones smell:roll:

well i saw empty sacks.. i remeber crying over them :oops::oops:

i have agreed that if he ever needs stomach surgery ill ask them to look.. but i think we just have to get used to fiesty bunnies because going in to check isnt a good reason to open up a little bunny huh..

keep him penned till he learns what his litter tray is.. thats what id do..

Alvin has been in small areas since he went for bonding and hes not really that bothered nearly 3 weeks on :D

well i saw empty sacks.. i remeber crying over them :oops::oops:

i have agreed that if he ever needs stomach surgery ill ask them to look.. but i think we just have to get used to fiesty bunnies because going in to check isnt a good reason to open up a little bunny huh..

keep him penned till he learns what his litter tray is.. thats what id do..

Alvin has been in small areas since he went for bonding and hes not really that bothered nearly 3 weeks on :D

same her in fact everyone on Facebook and RU saw Polo's empty sacks:lol:

Yeah he gonna be banged to rights from now on, although knowing him he will break out and pay me back:twisted:

What food are they fed on? I can often get wafts of a certain smell with buns fed on Excel

I may not be much help. I've an intact buck as a house rabbit (never well enough to neuter) & have virtually no spraying issues, or smell (unless his tummy is poorly when 1 caec stinks out the whole house!!).

I don't use any strong smelling products, & stick to the same washing powder. He spent the 1st. 3 months free in the utility area with frequent excursions into the lounge under supervision, & was content to mark by chinning.
He started to spray a new blanket on the sofa, but stopped as soon as I put it through the wash with my own powder.
He obviously thinks the bathroom is a scenting area, cos if I go to the loo he has to follow & scrabble the bath matt under his scent glands & leave a couple of poops. But it doesn't smell to humans.
He'll also chin scent any visitors shoes.
My policy is not to provoke scenting by using any strong smells, & it seems to have worked.
He's also let out in the garden daily, & does his territory spray & poop pile out there.
The other aspect is that buns really can't help the single poops that pop out when they're excited. They are so clean bacteriologically & dry, they are no health issue to us or toddlers whatsoever.

I read elsewhere that the lighter nights causes a gland in the rabbit brain to activate hormones, even in neutered rabbits. This is what causes 'spring fever'.

I read elsewhere that the lighter nights causes a gland in the rabbit brain to activate hormones, even in neutered rabbits. This is what causes 'spring fever'.

hmmm I would say he definetly got spring fever. As he has been fine with his toilet manners until Spring hit and I noticed the constent musky hormone smell.

Shut him in his pen with his pen attached last night and all was fine.

Gonna restrict his access at night and when I am at work or out to see if it also maybe issues with behaviour and the fact that I let him go free range to soon, that mixed with his increase in hormones.

Have to wait and see how he goes I suppose just hate him being confined:(

I may not be much help. I've an intact buck as a house rabbit (never well enough to neuter) & have virtually no spraying issues, or smell (unless his tummy is poorly when 1 caec stinks out the whole house!!).

I don't use any strong smelling products, & stick to the same washing powder. He spent the 1st. 3 months free in the utility area with frequent excursions into the lounge under supervision, & was content to mark by chinning.
He started to spray a new blanket on the sofa, but stopped as soon as I put it through the wash with my own powder.
He obviously thinks the bathroom is a scenting area, cos if I go to the loo he has to follow & scrabble the bath matt under his scent glands & leave a couple of poops. But it doesn't smell to humans.
He'll also chin scent any visitors shoes.
My policy is not to provoke scenting by using any strong smells, & it seems to have worked.
He's also let out in the garden daily, & does his territory spray & poop pile out there.
The other aspect is that buns really can't help the single poops that pop out when they're excited. They are so clean bacteriologically & dry, they are no health issue to us or toddlers whatsoever.

The odd poop is not a problem as can just pick them up even the odd hundred he leaves during the night or when I am at work is not a problem but the peeing is. Especially as he has been 100% litter trained up until Spring Hit.

I don't have any strong smelling stuff or air freshners as it not good for animals to be smelling that stuff and nor for me as it sets my asthma off.

Hopefully it part behaviour problem (terrible teens stage) and hormones so I can hopefully get him back to how he was. He a naughty ****** at best of times always trying to push the boundries so now it time for me to become the boss again instead of him the spoilt little bunster:roll:

Hopefully in a few months I can try him 100% free range again.

My apologies for inappropriate advice C R Bevis. I find computers a difficult medium for communication.

I do not know how advisable it is, but when Thumps came into adolescent dominant behaviour, I selected 2 "never acceptable under any circumstances" behaviours, & the second he did them I forced a bunny submission out of him. I put my index finger over his forehead just in front of his ears increasing the pressure until his chin touched the ground, & held it there for a while, perhaps 20 secs. He'd really resist that last millimeter.
[When buns have dominance fights, the victor mounts the loser's head. Unfortunately the victor often gets neutered in the process]
Thumper came into line quite quickly.

His next ploy was to enjoy winding me up on purpose, even though I'm very self controled & hid my annoyance well from a human view point. I know I'm crackers. I'd sing cheerful silly songs to hide my feelings until I'd dealt with the issue, short, fast, no mucking around, into his space, with food & toys giving me a break. I wasn't punishing him as such, just removing him from temptation.

As our relationship grew, he began to want to avoid displeasing me in a very touching way. Now I just lower my voice & he'll stop what he's doing immediately. It took about 18 months to attain that bond.

My last thought is simply whether your bun may have a mild urine infection/sludge issues. He's just a bit old to be starting adolescent behaviour. Thumps was roundabout 6 months (Don't know his actual age).

My apologies for inappropriate advice C R Bevis. I find computers a difficult medium for communication.

I do not know how advisable it is, but when Thumps came into adolescent dominant behaviour, I selected 2 "never acceptable under any circumstances" behaviours, & the second he did them I forced a bunny submission out of him. I put my index finger over his forehead just in front of his ears increasing the pressure until his chin touched the ground, & held it there for a while, perhaps 20 secs. He'd really resist that last millimeter.
[When buns have dominance fights, the victor mounts the loser's head. Unfortunately the victor often gets neutered in the process]
Thumper came into line quite quickly.

His next ploy was to enjoy winding me up on purpose, even though I'm very self controled & hid my annoyance well from a human view point. I know I'm crackers. I'd sing cheerful silly songs to hide my feelings until I'd dealt with the issue, short, fast, no mucking around, into his space, with food & toys giving me a break. I wasn't punishing him as such, just removing him from temptation.

As our relationship grew, he began to want to avoid displeasing me in a very touching way. Now I just lower my voice & he'll stop what he's doing immediately. It took about 18 months to attain that bond.

My last thought is simply whether your bun may have a mild urine infection/sludge issues. He's just a bit old to be starting adolescent behaviour. Thumps was roundabout 6 months (Don't know his actual age).

:wave:

Polo has just turned 1.

Polo is free range and use to be able to go everywhere in flat during the daytime except the bedroom and then at night he could come in the bedroom

What I have done is when I am out his pen goes across doorway of front living room so he cannot access the hallway where he was starting to pee and poo on the door mat right next to one of his litter trays. When I am home the pen comes away from the door but goes back on when I go to bed.

When the pen is moved he doesn't attempt much to go out into hallway now as he knows he thinks now he not allowed, but when he does decide to go out I watch from afar and as soon as he goes near the front door looks like gonna drop some raisons or pee I shoo him back in front room.

Hopefully if it is just issues with the terrible teens he may get back to his old litter trained ways.

He is obessed with doing it by the front door though. When he is in front room he perfectly litter trained just for some reasons wants to mark by door.

Have noticed his hormone smell not been powerfull this past week though so may something to do with it not being as sunny or something.

He doesn't appear to have a urine problem but can I ask why you mention sludge issues?? Do you mean if pee comes out with the creamy substance which he can get occasionally but as far as I know this is connected with calcium intake (vet said). As it dissappears when I lay of giving him the high calcium veg.:)

I'm sorry I used bunny jargon, yes, the white chalk in the wee is sometimes called "sludge". It can build up in the base of the bladder, & become too thick to pass, over time.
It's commonly caused by high calcium in the veg but Thumper doesn't drink enough with his dental issues. Fortunately he can always pass it on his own steam. I've a sneaky suspicion that some bucks don't empty their bladders fully, always hanging on to some ammunition for a spray!!!

Yes, I recognise the door scenting. Fortunately Thumper chose the back door as soon as he became a house bun. I reckon it's where the animal "night life" sniffs round alot. He was just saying to the world " This land belongs to Thumper a buck rabbit, keep off unlesss you're an attractive doe". It was much easier for me. I could put his litter tray there for several months, until he didn't feel the need to do it any more. [His litter tray is very shallow, for putting plant pots on, & he backs up to use it. I empty it 12 hourly,& just wipe down with plain water to leave his scent on it. My house doesn't smell at all honest!]

I rather suspect that this is bunny behaviour rather than truely hormonal.
Our domestic buns have the potential for all wild bun behaviour, but some buns have certain aspects more than others.

I feel rather useless but hope I may have given you some ideas to work on.
I do suggest that we clean up bunny territory marking with plain water. If we put a strong smell in that place the bun will just be driven to overscent it & wee more.

Back