• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making your own run any ideas?

andy5898

Warren Scout
Ive seen all the runs around and none of them are quite what I want. So I am thinking of making my own run with chicken wire and posts. Can anyone give me any tips on doing this and if there are better ways to do it than what I am thinking?

Cheers

Only thing I can suggest is don't use chicken wire. You need welded mesh instead of at least 19 guage (smaller numbers = sturdier mesah by the way). A fox or even a dog can get through chicken wire in seconds.

What about if I used an old kids play pen, then I could just wrap the chicken wire round the edge to stop me rabbit getting out. But equally the holes are to small to allow a fox or anything like that in?

I only intend him playing in it when Im out there with him, because his hutch has a built on run for when Im at work.

That would be an option but I don't really understand the need for using a playpen if the hutch has attached run. Surely the run is bigger than a playpen?

It is but as its attached its a hell of a job to move it as much as I would like. This way my rabbit gets fresh grass.

I thought it was secure until I looked at it!:(

I can sort out the holes which are low down but the problem I have is I dont want my little Rog to go under the shed. Its not he can't get out, its just I can't get to him!

I thought it was secure until I looked at it!:(

I can sort out the holes which are low down but the problem I have is I dont want my little Rog to go under the shed. Its not he can't get out, its just I can't get to him!

Why not use the chicken wire on the shed? My buns are free ranged for most of the day and because if it i had no plants left so decided to fence the plants in instead of them. It works much better for me if I cage the stuff that can't move :lol:

Now that is a good idea. Never thought of caging in the stuff which didn't move!

Wonder if me dad has chicken wire I can borrow! I will have to go visiting the parents!

I definately wouldn't use chicken wire. Get some galvanised wire mesh from eBay.

To make your own run I would recommend making it as lots of panels the same size. If you make lots of panels that are 6ft x 3ft you can make it into a run that is 6ft x 6ft and 3ft high. Use quite a thick timber with a bunny safe treatment.

I brought a few cheep dog crates and bashed them up a bit, stuck them together with cable ties, how I wanted it and made a run in a little over an hour. Its about 8ft long and 4ft wide. Very strong - I can sit on it, and the bun can't get out. Works really well.

I decided by the time I bought the bits and then did it and redid it, I went out and bought a run online! Decided was safer!

That's funny, yesterday we were talking about making a run for our buns as we want it to be quite long but a bit narrower so it can fit on the lawn on one side of the garden and all the narrow ones all seem to be short or they're square which will be too wide :? We were looking at rolls of cage mesh that they sell in Wilkinsons, do you think that will be sturdy enough. And we were looking at treated outdoor timber from homebase - will that be bunny safe? If not what is bunny safe treatment wise? Thanks :)

I'm lookin to build my own aviary panels to create a run. is there any specific wood I should use? or wood that I can't use due to dangerous for rabbits?

thanks

We got some timber posts from B&Q, special animal wire they sell there (I don;t have dogs or foxes around me so she's fine with the stuff there and I'm always at home when she's out in the run), some hinges (as it folds flat), screws and nails to hammer the wire into the wood. Took two days to build and it will easily fit a grown 6" man in it :D cost about £80 in total really.

A timber merchant is usually a lot cheaper than Wickes or B and Q. When I made the first few panels I used B and Q wood, but later found a timber merchant which was half the price.

Plain sawn pine is fine - you can stain it yourself. You can buy pressure treated timber for outdoor use instead if you prefer. We just have a load of panels which we tie together with thick velcro garden ties, but I'm thinking of putting hinges on when we move the hutch to another part of the garden.

Back