• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and children

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
In many situations rabbits and children do not mix very well, however my cousins have two rabbits, Yeeha (Jellys daughter) and Blue (adopted from RIN), and they adore them so much. The oldest (now 11) looks after them mainly, but they all enjoy them.

They often let them out free range in the garden, and Redd who is 2 absolutely adores them.

035.jpg

Gentle strokes

037.jpg

they take it in turns to stroke yeeha

040.jpg

058.jpg

Blue with his favourite person!

060-1.jpg

They love their bunnies so much!

lovely they look like they really love them:love:

Redd adores them, he feeds them! Hes only two, and when Kelly (auntie) does dinner, he sneaks a carrot and runs up the hill to the rabbits giggling and gives it to them :lol: Hes so clever, as a joke his older brother went "Bluue do you want a crisp?" and waved it towards Blue, and Redd SCREAMED and snatched it and put it in the bin, he didnt want blue to have it, he knows they cant! :lol:

I used to have a rabbit just like the black one, called sooty. I used to put her in a harness on an extension lead because at the time the only out side area I had to exercise her was a communal concrete back garden. She enjoyed these little exercise sessions as the lead allowed her to run the full length of the garden (over 30ft) like she was lead free, without causing a nuisance to the neighbours. Anyways...

Sooty wasnt a particularly cuddly rabbit, she was rather independent. one day next doors usually aggressive toddler fell over onto his knees and started to cry. Sooty bounded over to him curiously put her paws on his knees and sniffed quite intently at his face. The toddler started to laugh and cuddled her.....

I never saw anything like it. I soon transformed the other block children from rabbit kickers to rabbit feeders and cuddlers.

Redd adores them, he feeds them! Hes only two, and when Kelly (auntie) does dinner, he sneaks a carrot and runs up the hill to the rabbits giggling and gives it to them :lol: Hes so clever, as a joke his older brother went "Bluue do you want a crisp?" and waved it towards Blue, and Redd SCREAMED and snatched it and put it in the bin, he didnt want blue to have it, he knows they cant! :lol:

Thats brilliant they have obviously been very well educated! I have just literally been talking a friend out of trying to buy two buns for her three and four year old!... it was when she said: "well all I need is a hutch, and some food, they won't take up much room:shock::roll:

I know!!! annoying isn't it? They think cos my bunnies are friendly with people, that they are just like that without any time or effort:roll:

Thats what makes these pics so nice to see! I know if or when I have kiddie winks the buns are staying:).. and they will be bought up like your lot!:thumb:

Lovely my two fav things kids and buns :love:

My boy has the twosome (lb and Lucy-lou) in his room at the moment. It's done him the world of good! he has learnt if he doesn't tidy away,things get chewed. He feeds and waters them without me telling him to and this morning he said mum bring me the hoover - they've made a right mess and i only cleaned up yesterday.........now he knows how i feel :lol:
Just wish they would use the ezi-filla water bottle as their constant drinking wakes him up sometimes :oops:

It is nice to see them enjoy them the way they should be enjoyed, although Redd did pick up one of their chickens the other day and bring it inside :shock: he unlocke the coop, went in, got one an brought it in to play :roll::lol:

They are such lovely boys, they have just had a baby girl, so now i have a baby girl cousin to teach to love bunnies too :love: :love:

the cutest thing was when Sunny was about 4ish, and they came to my house and he cried because he thought id stolen his bunny :lol: it took me about half an hour to explain Jelly was Yeeha's mummy and they werent the same bunny!:lol:

That's lovely. It's so nice to see children being taught respect and responsibility for their pets. I had a rabbit when I was 12 and chose and cared for her myself, the only thing my parents were responsible for were the vet fees as a 12-year-old dosen't have a fat lot of cash! I knew when I got her that she wasn't something I could just get bored of one day, and it's so good to see that in other children.

These photos are great!
I was asked for some pics of kids interacting positively with buns so promised to keep an eye out.
These are some of the best I've seen.
Am wondering if you would be happy to let me use them? Or is that a bit cheeky? :oops: Not sure its just that they would be perfect.
It would be in an SPCA education centre poster re safe handling & supervision of kids & buns.

Bless them!
When baby arrives it won't have much chocie in behaving well with the buns :love:
I have the same prob as Shelly though, people see my buns and think that all buns love having suggles and don't mind being prodded by sticky fingers :roll:
My friend brings her little lad over to learn about trating animals nicely :love:

they are lush pics my little boy is also two and loves his stan to bits i think if rabbits and children are brought up together they learn to respect each other and rabbits learn to wrap children round there little claw.:D
100_1319-1.jpg

These photos are great!
I was asked for some pics of kids interacting positively with buns so promised to keep an eye out.
These are some of the best I've seen.
Am wondering if you would be happy to let me use them? Or is that a bit cheeky? :oops: Not sure its just that they would be perfect.
It would be in an SPCA education centre poster re safe handling & supervision of kids & buns.

I woud have to ask my Uncle and Auntie as its their children, but i will ask them for you :)

I woud have to ask my Uncle and Auntie as its their children, but i will ask them for you :)
Thanks so much! Will perfectly understand if not ok.
Please complement your Aunt & Uncle - its great to see kids interacting so well with buns, they must be lovely parents. :)

Back