• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny harnesses

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I know some people don't approve, but this isn't a thread for that thanks!

We are taking Beau to my parents for the weekend, they've got 1.5 acres and impossible to bunny proof, plus not worth buying a run to only use occasionally, so we want to try Beau on a harness. If he gets distressed, or if I'm not confident that he can't get out of it, then we won't use it.

What I'm wanting to know, from people who DO use them, is what sort to buy (baring in mind we need to be able to get it from P@H or Jolleyes this morning), and any tips for helping him to accept it.

Thank you!

well the only ones that I have seen for sale in P@H are the normal H-harnesess...the options I think they are called.

I use them for my lot and they are good with them. Some buns prefere different types like the figure of 8-harness or vests

I would try him on the H-harness first as that is what most buns use/prefer. If you are usuing it to exercise him then you could get longer lead or one of those dog retractable ones.

Just try putting it on him and see how he reacts, the thing most buns dont like at first is the pull of the lead on the harness so try and follow him around/ have a longer lead so its not a problem.

I dont use them but we do sell them so I've seen the different types and know which ones sell better, and personally if I was to use them I'd be looking at a walk n vest harness as less likely to rub or dig in anywhere as they reduce pull. You'd need a large for a bunny(pic shows the ferret sized one) and they retail at about £6 in most places. They come in red, purple, blue or a bright yellow
They look like this
walknvests.jpg

well the only ones that I have seen for sale in P@H are the normal H-harnesess...the options I think they are called.

I use them for my lot and they are good with them. Some buns prefere different types like the figure of 8-harness or vests

I would try him on the H-harness first as that is what most buns use/prefer. If you are usuing it to exercise him then you could get longer lead or one of those dog retractable ones.

Just try putting it on him and see how he reacts, the thing most buns dont like at first is the pull of the lead on the harness so try and follow him around/ have a longer lead so its not a problem.

We got a H harness and it's on him, we will stay wiv him all the time he's got it on, just let him get used to that. Hoping mum still has a couple of extendable leads, as I don't want to spend £10 on one if he's not gonna like it. Will let you know how we go.

If he likes it, I might try one of the vesty ones from you holidayhutch :D

It didn't work out so well :shock: I think he's agoraphobic! He was fine with the harness and with the lead, but as soon as he got outside he went mental, doing that zigzaggy running, we had to throw on ourselves on him to catch him, and his eyes went all bulgey and he was moving his head from side to side, I thought he'd had a stroke, it was awful! Fortunately he recovered in a matter of minutes :D

Aw, poor boy! Still, you tried, and now you know it doesn't work - you'll have to plan something different for next time!

Back