• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toilet training neutered male housebun-help please

kayw1

Young Bun
Hi all,

I have a 4 year old neutered male rabbit called Patch who has recently become a house rabbit. He was successfully toilet trained when he lived in an outdoor hutch. I have recently brought him into the house and bonded him with another neutered female.

I am having trouble toilet training Patch in the house. I have a large cat tray in the hutch which Tribbles uses all the time and i have seen Patch use it too. There is an area outside of the hutch where the water and hay is. Patch keeps weeing around this area. I have put two litter trays opposite each other to encorage him not to have an accident as these are areas he would wee on. He uses one and likes to wee outside the other. He clearly knows how to use a tray so i am confused why he is still marking outside the tray. i have tried to put him and tribbles in a cage to reduce the area they can access and this seems to stop him from having accidents. i did this for two weeks and it worked for about a week and he started to wee wherever he liked. so i tried it again and it worked for a week.

I am at my wit's end as i do not know what to do with him. I have reduced the area that they can access and brought more trays. I am not sure if this is territory marking as the wees are small, he is chinning everything and has even sprayed Tribbles. He is the submissive rabbit of the pair. He wees around the same spot and they both have access to the whole kitchen. i do not want to keep them caged up long term neither.

Sorry this has been such a long post!

Back