• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bathing a Neutered Bun

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Zero has just been neutered, his 10 day check is tomorrow (having trouble with Cass too have a thread in Rabbit Chat about that if you want to advise!)

he has a cone, because Harvey opened his sutures. so as you can imagine his poor little bum is looking a bit matted (with wee not poo).

What should I do???

I can take his cone off but if he pulls open his wound this means I will have to pay to resuture it. but if his 10 day check is tomorrow he should be healed anyway, right?

I can leave the cone on and give him a bunny bath, but would that be a bad idea around his wound?

I would prefer not to have to pay, out of principle, but my main worry is not the money, it is that he will hurt himself and I'll have to wait longer to bond him with Harvey. We're getting so close!! But any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

He is still wearing a cone after 10 days :shock:

He should be well healed by now, but if he is matted from wee soaked fur then he may be very sore.

Have you been feeding him his caecotrophs if he's had a cone on for 10 days ?

to be honest, I haven't. my vet was really great and helpful when i first started going there but now she is not as helpful, so i didnt know when to take cone off etc. she answers the questions i ask but doesnt volunteer information.

some of his caecotrophs go on the floor of the hutch (i check him for sticky bum all the time) so not sure if hes eating. to be honest, the thought never crossed my mind til you just mentioned it :oops: wonder why the vet didnt recommend it?? I know thats no excuse I should have known to do it myself :( poor Zero.

Do you think I should bathe him?

bless him.....but how were you supposed to know?
vets sometimes just expect you to know....did they tell you to keep the cone on for 10 days?

How does the wound look - are there any stitches left? Like Jane says, I'd expect him to be healed now.

I'd give him a once over with a damp cloth or baby wipe then if he's getting checked tomorrow anyway - see how he does cleaning himself up rather than trying a bath.

yes, its in my notes that if i take it off and he opens up his wound i'll have to pay. the cone is off! I've taken it off my other bun too who got neutered yesterday.

How does the wound look - are there any stitches left? Like Jane says, I'd expect him to be healed now.

I'd give him a once over with a damp cloth or baby wipe then if he's getting checked tomorrow anyway - see how he does cleaning himself up rather than trying a bath.

wound looks fine, they glue rather than stitch and it looks fine. Thank you, I'll give him a little wipe over with a baby wipe and leave him to clean himself up. are Johnson's baby wipes ok?

my cat had a cone on when she was speyd and i couldnt wait to take it off, never mind her....i bet their so relieved. :lol:

my cat had a cone on when she was speyd and i couldnt wait to take it off, never mind her....i bet their so relieved. :lol:

I know, Cass is a lop and he looked so depressed and his face and ears looked so squashed with it on, I've taken it off tonight so he only had it for a day. Zero seemed ok though, I got him a dog bowl for his pellets so he could eat and he's been eating and pooing quite happily. Cass is a different story... i have another thread on him I won't start telling it all over again or it'll be all over the place! :)

I think every time I go to the vet's I'm going to post the notes on here and check if they're right :evil: Although to be fair she doesnt give out cones as standard, it was only because Harvey was neutered first and he took it upon himself to play surgeon.

Back