• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch cover question

tiger1

Warren Scout
Do outside hutches need a cover at night at the minute?
I pick up my new bunnies sunday and received my hutch cover in the post today. They have sent the wrong size and due to the bank holiday weekend i don`t know when they will send another one out.
Will baby bunnies be ok without one? Thinking maybe i could cover the front with a bin bag at night?:(

Now that the weather is getting warmer you do not need a hutch cover.

Hutch rain covers are particuarly useful in protecting hutches from the effects of the sun and rain, covers do extend their life although hutches last longer if they have regular yearly wood treatment. The cover which goes over the front does protect rabbits and the interior of a hutch from driving rain and wind, however care needs to be taken when it is sunny as the interior temperature of a hutch can suddenly become excessive if the front cover is left down.

Insulated covers which are often used under a rain cover are good in the really cold weather to help maintain a warmer temperature and in the sunny weather by reducing heat radiation into a hutch.

If you live in an area where there are foxes prowling at night, a non clear hutch cover over the front is helpful by not allowingf rabbits to actually see predators.

In this weather rather than using a black plastic bag I would suggest a piece of sacking with a weight at the bottom to stop it blowing up.

Back