• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lettuce!?

When I first got my bun (Danny) from pets at home they said never give a rabbit lettuce cos it makes them ill. And I read this rabbit book and it said they can have lettuce and this girl from my school gave her rabbit lettuce before and there was no effect on the bun. Now I'm really unsure if i should give Danny lettuce :?

When I first got my bun (Danny) from pets at home they said never give a rabbit lettuce cos it makes them ill. And I read this rabbit book and it said they can have lettuce and this girl from my school gave her rabbit lettuce before and there was no effect on the bun. Now I'm really unsure if i should give Danny lettuce :?

:wave:Hi,

This might help.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

Some types of lettuce are a definite 'No' for rabbits.

Iceberg is a big fat no, but romaine and curly have always been appreciated by mine! As with anything, introduce a little bit at a time as all buns react differently. As a general rule the darker leaved the lettuce, the more nutritional value it has.

I sometimes give mine the stump left from lettuce, think that bit has a little more fibre than the leaves. One of them has a very dodgy tum so I have to be really careful what she eats and I've noticed no ill effects by feeding the occasional stump.

Anyway, despite the lack of nutritional value....save yourself money buying lettuce and pick some dandelions, long leafed plantain or a nice big bunch of fresh grass.

i usually stick to round lettuce or occasionally romaine. I keep the quantities quite small.

Endive and chicory often get confused with lettuce. They're very nutritious and great for bunnies. These include:

escarole,

escarole.jpg

radiccio,

treviso.jpg

220px-RadicchioNL.jpg

frisee,

frisee_Frank+C+Muller.jpg

sugarloaf endive

sugarloafchicory.jpg

and belgian endive.

220px-Endive_p1160063.jpg

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/vegetables/chicory.php